Thomasin's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Aug 13, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: biography-and-autobiography, non-fiction, to-read, bag-sale-and-bargains

I enjoyed the read. Specifically, I like the idea of having a WORD for oneself (or ones city, etc.). Not sure what mine is...

My fave quote...

In the Italy section:

"In a world of disorder and disaster and fraud, sometimes only beauty can be trusted."

"...the appreciation of pleasure can be an anchor of one's humanity."

Her sister's trepidation about childbirth/parenting: "'My only fear is that he might grow up to become a Republican.'"

In the India section:

The Yogis "say that human dicontentment is a simple case of mistaken identity... We don't realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme Self who is eternally at peace."

"You bear God within you, poor wretch and know it not." ~Epictetus.

"...the problem is the emotional attachment that goes with the thinking... You are what you think."

In the Indonesia section:

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate in the manifestations of your own blessings."

"The search for contentment is...not merely a self-preserving and self-benefitting act, but also a generous gift to the world."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

August 13, 2010 – Started Reading