Melissa Rochelle's Reviews > Dept. of Speculation

Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill

bookshelves: ebook, library, marriage, read-2015

I wanted to highlight nearly every sentence in this short novella about a woman who's marriage is disintegrating. This isn't a straightforward story, it's told through glimpses into the wife's life -- how she met her husband, the early days of motherhood, random thoughts from philosophers and poets, conversations with friends. It can easily be read in one sitting and maybe even read a second time.

I was reminded of The Lover's Dictionary -- a favorite of mine from a few years ago. Both tell stories of love and loss in nontraditional ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dept. of Speculation.

Quotes Melissa Rochelle Liked

Jenny Offill
“And that phrase - 'sleeping like a baby.' Some blonde said it blithely on the subway the other day. I wanted to lie down next to her and scream for five hours in her ear.”

Jenny Offill
“There is a picture of my mother holding me as a baby, a look of naked love on her face. For years, it embarrassed me. Now there is a picture of me with my daughter looking exactly the same way.”

Jenny Offill
“Of course it is difficult. You are creating a creature with a soul, my friend says.”

Jenny Offill
“If I had to sum up what he did to me, I’d say it was this: he made me sing along to all the bad songs on the radio. Both when he loved me and when he didn't.”

Jenny Offill
“Also she signed away the right to self-destruct years ago. The fine print on the birth certificate, her friend calls it.”

Jenny Offill
“But my agent has a theory. She says every marriage is jerry-rigged. Even the ones that look reasonable from the outside are held together inside with chewing gum and wire and string.”

Jenny Offill
“The baby’s eyes were dark, almost black, and when I nursed her in the middle of the night, she’d stare at me with a stunned, shipwrecked look as if my body were the island she’d washed up on.”

January 11, 2015 – Started Reading
January 11, 2015 – Shelved
January 11, 2015 –
page 27
15.08% "Oh man. I wish I could highlight specific passages in the 3M Cloud Library."
January 11, 2015 –