Bonnie's Reviews > Every Third Thought: A Novel in Five Seasons

Every Third Thought by John Barth

bookshelves: satire

I was a Barth virgin; now ... well I think I still am, even if not technically. Wow, this book... as challenging as Pynchon, but without the sneer, Every Third Thought was unlike anything I've ever read, even though it's plot (was there a plot?) was just about an old guy writing a book. But at the same time, it was about living and dying and marriage and LAST things. That sentiment of "last" things (last day of school, last summer before X, etc), I don't know, at 27 I sometimes feel like I'm already twice that age or that I'm wasting valuable time and, wow, Every Third Thought did me no favors. It was confrontational in that I felt compelled, throughout, to think about my own life. And it was poignant in the kind of subtle way where you don't even feel yourself getting emotional until you're underneath it already. I loved the description of the narrator's marriage, and I don't think I've ever said that about a story marriage (okay maybe the Weasleys). To be honest, I feel like I just glimpsed the tail end of a meteor or something and didn't quite catch it. I'm canceling all my other reading plans for 2015 and trying one of his "mega-novels" ASAP.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Third Thought.

January 11, 2015 – Shelved