Rachel (APCB Reviews)'s Reviews > A Study in Charlotte

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

bookshelves: 2016-releases, 2016-debuts, most-obsessed-favorites

Quick-Fire Review: I don't know what's more alluring, the cover or the synopsis. I especially admired the book's ties to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries and was wildly impressed by how fluid and natural the connections were between the two. This book balances the line between paying homage to Holmes mysteries and also being fresh and original. A Study in Charlotte brings a thrilling plot, spot-on characterization, whip-smart writing, and a puzzling mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end. Although there's no cliffhanger, I'm anxious for the next book!

Read the full review @ A Perfection Called Books

Detailed Review:
Although this book isn't one I'd usually pick up since I'm not an avid reader of mystery novels, the synopsis was too alluring to pass up and I quickly became obsessed with the premise of this novel. I've always had fond memories of Sherlock Holmes. When I was younger I used to watch old black-and-white tv series episodes with my father. I'd feebly attempt to solve the mystery and delight in the fact that I was never right. The eccentricity and pure brilliance of Holmes along with the intricacies of the crimes, the Watson companionship, and the revealing ends left a charmed imprint of Sherlock on my childhood.

Throughout this novel, Brittany spreads her love and knowledge of Sherlock Holmes to readers in such a fresh way. I love the idea of Holmes and Watson being real and their descendants solving crimes together. This book balances the line between paying homage to Holmes and also being fresh and original. I especially admired the book's ties to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries and was wildly impressed by how fluid and natural the connections were between Holmes stories and A Study in Charlotte. It's so creative and fun to see how one of the most famous fictional-sleuthing duos is re-imagined as reality.

Given how authentic the connections are between this book and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, it's no surprise that the characterization was perfect. Charlotte mirrors Holmes' quirks and addictions. Her speech and actions are uncannily similar to him, yet she's still her own person. Her insecurities, troubles, and motives are where she really diverges from Holmes, and I'm glad Charlotte wasn't portrayed as a carbon copy of him. Her perceptiveness and reasoning skills are riveting. Her character is so fascinating, and I'm glad this story is told from Watson's point of view which makes her even more mysterious and a better study. Oh my dear Watson! I love Jamie. He's likable and funny and the perfect person to temper Charlotte.

I love the evolving relationship between Charlotte and Jamie as we see them learn to trust each other and become so much more. I ship it! That is all I shall say on the matter. The dynamic between Charlotte and Jamie manages to keep up with the golden interactions between Holmes and Watson. The interactions are hilarious and awkward and as strange as you'd expect.

Someone is framing Charlotte and Jamie for the death of a student at school in a sick imitation of Holmes' most famous mysteries. As more and more suspicious activities arise, the two team up and attempt to clear their names. I loved how this mystery developed and heightened throughout the book. There are so many twists and turns in the plot, you have no idea who you can trust! The complexity and attention to detail in the plotting of the crimes are creepy yet artfully done. The plotting is pure genius and meticulously planned. I'm in awe of the sheer scope and connections and threads scattered throughout this novel that manage to seamlessly come together at the end.

Brittany's writing is stellar and completely absorbing. Her wit and humor shine through in this novel as does her talent for writing. A Study in Charlotte ends fairly resolved, and there are two more books in the series to come! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait to see where the newest Holmes and Watson take us next.

In a gif:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study in Charlotte.

January 11, 2015 – Shelved
January 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 11, 2015 – Shelved as: 2016-releases
June 16, 2015 – Shelved as: 2016-debuts
October 20, 2015 – Started Reading
November 6, 2015 – Shelved as: most-obsessed-favorites
November 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Janet Martin I'm not going to rave as much as you, but I thought that this YA novel was both very well done and a wonderful introduction to the world of Sherlock for younger readers

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) Janet wrote: "I'm not going to rave as much as you, but I thought that this YA novel was both very well done and a wonderful introduction to the world of Sherlock for younger readers"

I'm glad you enjoyed this too!