Lucia's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Aug 12, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Another great book from Cassandra Clare! I love her and her Shadowhunter books! This one was set in Victorian London, completely different from the present-day New York that the other books are set in. However, it totally works for the theme. I love the way Cassie creates her characters. There are some that I just wish were real and living. Maybe only in my dreams. :(

The three main characters are Tessa, Will, and Jem- the perfect setting for a love triangle. I'm totally team Will, *ducks from team Jem fanatics* because I've always been into the hot, bad-boy types. :) I kind of wanted to kick him in the end though.

There are also many strong supporting characters, such as Henry (love him!), Charlotte, and Jessamine. Sorry if I forgot somebody else important. I love Henry's craziness and his mad determination (his inventions are pretty great, too) and Charlotte's brave, strong figure (really young and running an Institute!). I love how Jessamine is different from the rest of the Shadowhunters, but she still knows how to kick @$$ with that parasol of hers if needed.

And of course, we have the wonderful, hilarious Magnus Bane, who is also a presence in the TMI books. Can't get enough of him!

[SPOILER ALERT]
As for the ending, it just totally shocked me. Nathaniel?? Tessa's own brother?? Wow. *reels back from shock*

Well then, needless to say, I can hardly wait for the next book! It won't be long before I can't control myself any longer, and will storm Cassandra Clare's house. At least I'll have the release of The City of Fallen Angels to hold me back for bit. It comes out April 5, 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Lucia Liked

Cassandra Clare
“You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will."

"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem seemed to look through her then, as if he were seeing something beyond her, beyond the corridor, beyond the Institute itself. "Whatever you are physically," he said, "male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside." He smiled them, seeming to have come back to himself, slightly embarrassed. "That's what I believe.”

Cassandra Clare
“It is not the same thing to be good and to be kind.”

Cassandra Clare
“That was enterprising," Will sounded nearly impressed.
Nate smiled. Tess shot him a furious look. "Don't look pleased with yourself. When Will says 'enterprising' he means 'morally deficient.'"
"No, I mean enterprising," said Will. "When I mean morally deficient, I say, 'Now, that's something I would have done'.”

Cassandra Clare
“It wasn't enough, not nearly enough, but it was all there was.”

Cassandra Clare
“She looked up at him with a smile. The smile broke what was left of his resistance--shattered it. He had let the walls down when he'd thought she was gone, and there was no time to build them back up.”

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

Cassandra Clare
“I believe in good and evil," said Jem. "And I believe the soul is eternal. But I don't believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks, or endless torment. I do not believe you can threaten people into goodness."

Tessa looked at will. "What about you? What do you believe?

"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows. What else is there?”

Cassandra Clare
“cleverness that comes too late is hardly cleverness at all?”

Cassandra Clare
“Do reasons matter when there's nothing that can be done to change things.”

Cassandra Clare
“If no one in the entire world cared about you, did you really exist at all?”

Cassandra Clare
“A little girl robbed you?" Tessa said.
"Actually, she wasn’t a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress with a penchant for violence, who goes by the name of Six-Fingered Nigel."
"Easy mistake to make," Jem said.”

Cassandra Clare
“Are you implying that shreds of my reputation remain intact?" Will demanded with mock horror. "Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or not something wrong, as the case may be."

He banged on the side of the carriage. "Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel. I seek scandal and low companionship.”

Cassandra Clare
“When you find a man you wish to marry, Tessa, remember this: You will know what kind of man he is not by the things he says, but by the things he does.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will looked up in apparent relief when Charlotte and Tessa came in. "Will," Charlotte said, "You remember Miss Gray?"
"My recollection of her," said Will, "is most vivid indeed.”

Cassandra Clare
“This is your true self, Tessa. This power is who you are. Whoever loves you now - and you must also love yourself - will love the truth of you.”

Cassandra Clare
“You’re not the only one who calls them that; the other Downworlders do the same,” said Will. “I discovered that fact while investigating the symbol. I must have carried that knife through a hundred Downworld haunts, searching for someone who might recognize it. I offered a reward for information. Eventually the name of the Dark Sisters came to my ears.”
“Downworld?” Tessa echoed, puzzled. “Is that a place in London?”
“Never mind that,” said Will. “I’m boasting of my investigative skills, and I would prefer to do it without interruption. Where was I?”

Cassandra Clare
“Drowning yourself won't help, she told herself sternly. Now, drowning Will, on the other hand...”

Cassandra Clare
“In that case" Tessa said, feeling hot blood rise to her face,"I think I would prefer it if you called me by my Christian name, as you do with Miss Lovelace.
Will look at her, slow and hard, then smiled. His blue eyes lit when he smiled. "Then you must do the same for me," he said. "Tessa."
She had never thought about her name much before, but when he said it, it was as if she were hearing if for the first time-the hard T, the caress of the double S, the way it seemed to end on a breath. Her own breath was very short when he said, softly, "Will."
"Yes?" Amusement glittered his eyes.
With a sort of horror Tessa realized that she had simply said his name for the sake of saying it; she hadn't actually had a question.”

Cassandra Clare
“under his dripping hair, he was as white as parchment, his hands clenched at his sides so tightly that they were shaking. It seemed clear that some terrible turmoil was ripping him apart from the inside out.”

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Williams I thought this book was brilliant. I was a bit dubious
at first and wondered how it would compare to the Mortal Instruments but if the rest of the series continues in the same vein I think it will be mind blowing.
Can't wait for No2.