Mel's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

bookshelves: 4-stars, read-in-2015

This book was a shock. I have never read anything by Neil Gaiman, this was my introduction to him, and it was nothing I expected and yet surprisingly much better. The writing in this book was AMAZING. Absolutely vivid imagery, I truly feel like I was in this book. I love the person this is written in. It was third person but it didn't feel like a typically written third person story.
The story in this book isn't much, in fact it can be quite slow at times, yet the characters make up for that. Bod himself is my favourite character. I felt bad for him so often in the story because I can imagine how lonely he was. He grew up so quickly and was so mature. Silas was dark and mysterious and while I don't know much about him, I really enjoyed him. All the other characters brought the story together beautifully. The ghosts were all an intricate part of the story and I am glad we got to be introduced to so many of them.
I also like the layout of the book. Each chapter was like one little mini story in the book. It was so well structured and written.
I am definitely in love with Neil Gaiman's writing and I cannot wait to start reading more of his books.

Book Challenge book #29: A Book Set Somewhere You've Always Wanted To Visit

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

January 10, 2015 – Shelved