Hope's Reviews > Angelina Jolie: The Biography

Angelina Jolie by Rhona Mercer

F 50x66

2015 is shaping up as my year of reading trashy celeb bios. Like Ian Halperin's "Brangelina," this is mostly information/direct quotes gleaned from Jolie's interviews over the years, albeit presented less sensationally than in "Brangelina" (I.e., no attempts to crash Jolie's psych ward). It covers more of Jolie's troubled teen years and tumultuous relationship with her father than I knew about previously, including her drug use, self-harming, and bouts of depression.

Because she has talked about those issues with the press at various times (around movies like Girl, Interrupted, for example) it is hard to judge how accurate the quotes are--did Jolie really try to hire someone to kill her instead of committing suicide, so her family wouldn't feel guilty or is that anecdote just an exaggerated PR story for movies where she played similarly damaged characters? Did she really have a "meltdown" and check herself into a hospital when she thought she and Billy Bob Thornton couldn't be together or was that exaggerated, too? Hard to say. As a fan of Jolie's efforts as a UN ambassador/adoptive mom, I had mostly forgotten about this earlier phase of her career and persona. Reading these direct quotes about her impulsive and sometimes dark behavior is pretty disturbing, honestly. It certainly made me feel more sympathy for Jon Voight and his public interviews about his concern for her mental state.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelina Jolie.

January 1, 2015 – Started Reading