Charles Boyung's Reviews > You

You by Austin Grossman

There is a good story here. There really is. However, it is INCREDIBLY hard to follow. The author goes from first person to second person to third person and from high school flashback to college flashback to current time real life to inside the video game to into the main characters dreams (or more likely delusions and hallucinations). This could be okay, except these transitions happen from paragraph to paragraph, or sentence to sentence (and it seemed to happen within the same sentence more than once).

I only made it through the whole thing because I really liked the concept of the story. If it wasn't so close to home for me, I doubt I would have made it halfway through. But even with that known, I still rate the book highly, because if you can work out the story, it is excellent.

Maybe the book is easier to read with a physical copy (rather than ebook or audiobook) because you can flip back and forth easily to make sure you know what is being talked about at any given time, but you can't blame the technology for your flaws in execution (which, coincidentally, is one of the points made in the book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You.

January 10, 2015 – Started Reading