Linnea's Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Aug 11, 2010

liked it
Read in August, 2010

Really, this isn't my kind of book, but I checked it out of the library because it's what all the freshmen have to read this fall, and since I am basing my class around the ideas of authenticity, alienation, life choices, etc. (keepin' it broad...) I thought it might be a good idea to read it.

I got through it really fast, in a few hours. And I really did like it. It's about Chris McCandless's search for purpose in life, which I think a lot of us can identify with--you get out of college, you want to find something that really matters, and it's hard. Of course McCandless isn't just some kid, he's obviously putting a lot more into his search than most of us do, but that search is what made me really connect with the book. Also, I was surprisingly entertained by Krakauer's stories of mountain climbing and adventuring. Like I said, this is not a genre I spend any time with. I'm glad I read it.

(It did get a bit annoying that Krakauer kept going on about "boys like this" "boys do this kind of thing," but since prescribing/enforcing gender roles wasn't his main point I'm not going to be pissed at him about it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.