Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Gracefully Grayson

Gracefully Grayson by Ami Polonsky

Jan 10, 2015

bookshelves: liburrrrrry-book, read-in-2015, denied-the-arc

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Gracefully Grayson approaches the transgender issue with sheer grace. A middle-grade story that is truly middle-grade. There is no foul language, no sex, no romance, just the story of Grayson Sender – a 12-year old boy who looks in the mirror until he can see the reflection of the girl he really knows is inside of him.

What an important little book this was. In a day and age where young people are stepping into oncoming traffic because they aren’t accepted for who they are and 8-year olds are being belittled for daring to walk the red carpet in a suit rather than a dress, Grayson’s story is one that needs to be told. I encourage parents and children alike to read this one.

I find myself at a bit of a loss for words. Thinking too hard about the struggles of young people just makes me sad (and it’s a Monday so I’m sad enough in general already), so I'm just going to steal some words from Mr. Feeny . . .

Commercial Photography

Thank heaven for teachers who overstep their boundaries when parents aren’t willing to deal with hard issues. I’m pretty sure Grayson would agree.

And to the kids out there who are afraid of being "different" - I hope one day your differences are embraced and celebrated and you feel comfortable enough to be who you are - whether that person is one who wears a suit, or a dress, or rocks a purple cast while simultaneously maintaining superhero status ; )

Commercial Photography

If you or a young person you know is LGBT and thinking about suicide, please call The Trevor Lifeline at 1-866-488-7386, or the Trans Lifeline at 1-877-565-8860.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gracefully Grayson.

January 10, 2015 – Started Reading
January 10, 2015 – Shelved
January 10, 2015 –
page 21
8.64% "This just got a lot more complicated ...\n Commercial Photography"
January 12, 2015 – Shelved as: liburrrrrry-book
January 12, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
January 12, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 22, 2016 – Shelved as: denied-the-arc

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thank you so much! I thought it was a great little book. I hope you like it : )

message 2: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao great review, Kelly

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Thanks so much julio : )

Sophie Kandler Thanks for including the Trans Lifeline in your review. Many trans youth see suicide as the only way out. They feel alone- but they aren't! ((I'm more of a Green Ring myself...) ;)

Maddie/Art3mis Lovely review, Kelly...and I LOVE the fact that you included Feeny :)

Isabel I love how you put that. "In a day and age where young people are stepping into oncoming traffic because they aren’t accepted for who they are." So true.

message 7: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris <3 so much.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I don't know how I managed to (once again apparently) unsubscribe from my own notifications, but thanks to all for the nice words. It also reminded me my little purple cast wearer isn't so little any longer : (