Nova Zaiden's Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Read it again in 2016 and no surprise, it's as amazing as the first time.
----
Want more reviews, discussions and fun-filled posts? Check out my book blog, Out of Time.

*No surprise, I gave this infinity stars*

Easily my favorite book of the year. While it felt so good to be back in the Grishaverse, the real show stopper were the new characters that stole my heart as easily as they could steal heavily guarded objects. - Nova @ Out of Time

I must warn all of you now. This review is probably going to be long and it's going to be fangirling. My goal is to make you want to read this book now because trust me, you do.
I've been a Leigh Bardugo fangirl since [a lady never reveals her age] and she's become an insta-buy author. There's just something about her books that make you feel like you're part of the story. I can't describe it - there isn't really an exact formula. It's a mix of everything, really. Yeah, that's called talent.

I wasn't sure about this book at first because there isn't much of a plot on the back cover. We don't really know what it's about. I was unsure of that but I'm actually so glad I went in blind because the actual plot is so epic and I love how creative Leigh combined science with The Grisha, even though most of the characters weren't Grisha.

There are six different main characters. However, unlike other books I've read, Leigh seamlessly bounces between the characters and even more spectacular, she's able to make us feel connected to them. I don't even like 3rd person perspective most of the time but I loved this book to pieces. Only hours after just finishing it, the only thing I want to do is read it again.

Kaz Brekker, the leader, kind of reminds me of a mix of The Darkling and Neal Caffrey from White Collar. He's terrifying in that ruthless way but he's also charming when he wants something. I don't know why I always get intrigued by the bad characters but Kaz played that antihero thing really well. He's also got a one track mind to the point of obsession and I found that really interesting to read. [I also ship Kaz with someone because even antiheroes deserve love, right? I've felt like antihero relationships are 10x more fun. Remember Klaroline? That was my life.]
I would love to tell you about every character in detail but that would take forever. All you need to know is that I loved all of them because they were so different. Like one was almost nerdy, which is making me giggle. My favorite character has to be Nina though. She's so sassy and fun. And she's brave. Brave to the point where I want to put the book down and process her strength of character. Plus, her and Matthias reminded me of M'gann and Connor from Young Justice if you're into that. My fangirl heart, be still.

The ships have sailed in this book. Metaphorically and literally. Even though there was so much action and the stakes were so high, I couldn't help but love the bits of romance that were pulled into it. There were a two ships and I loved them both for different reasons. One was more prominent than the other but for some reason, I liked the less prominent one more because of the possiblities for some epic romance in the sequel to this book.

The best thing about Six of Crows, though? The best? That would have to be that Leigh manages to mix all the genres so this book is pretty much for everyone. I laughed like it was a contemporary, put the book down because of ship feels, turned the pages rapidly because of the action scenes, my eyes got bigger during fantasy scenes because magic! And this is how I felt when I finished the book:

THE SEQUEL COMES OUT IN A YEAR. WHAT DO I DO?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

January 10, 2015 – Shelved