C.G. Drews's Reviews > Illuminae

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman

bookshelves: 5-star, aussie-authors, read-2015, sci-fi, young-adult, read-2016, reread, audio-books
Read 2 times. Last read November 5, 2016.

RE-READ REVIEW:

Yes yes I am officially 100% Illuminae trash and I COULD CRY BECAUSE I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I literally....afjkdlasfd. What am I even supposed to say here? OKAY. Just a few like "reread" thoughts in list format because that's who I am.

• First off the audiobook is freaking amazing and I CANNOT RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH. It's got tons of voices, it's basically dramatised, there is MUSIC and like beep-booping (shh, technical term there) of machines and I lovelovelovelovelove it.
• The emotion in the audiobook actually nearly made me CRY.
• Actually all the intensely amazing plot twists still hit me. HARD. This is also because I never remember anything of what I read??? So like it was reading a completely new book almost????
• And I'm quite the auditory learning, so I absorbed a LOT more this time. afjdaksld the plot twists.
• THE PLOT TWISTS THE PLOT TWISTS THE PLOT TWISTS.
Favourite character is: AIDAN. It actually concerns me how much I love the slightly psychotic computer. But I also related to him a lot?? He predicts humans but he can't understand them. He does his best but people don't understand him. And just ajfdkslad I love AIDAN so much. I actually don't really think he's so much a villain as an anti-hero.
• Still shipping him and Kady. <3
• Who is apparently said "Kady" like "Katey"?? Not "caddie"?? OKAY MY LIFE IS A LIFE.
• Story of Cait's Life: mispronouncing everything ever.
• Also why is everyone dead.
• why are my emotions frayed at the edges.
• why is the book so beautiful to look at.
• why was I lying on th eground listening to an audio and petting the amazing pictures in this book.
• help me.
• (except don't, I'm happy in this mindfield of pain)
• Also I just want to point out this has one of the best romances ever and yet it's SO lowkey. (view spoiler)
• Did I mention AIDAN?!?
• Also the plot twist that MADE ME LOSE MY MIND EVEN THOUGH I KNEW IT WAS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
• LEAST TO SAY: this book is even better the second time. I gave it 5stars originally, but I want to give it 9384928 stars I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH. I finished it and literally ached because I didn't want it to be over.
• One of the most special books of all time. <3
• someone give me Gemina. I'm lying on the floor IN A PUDDLE OF EMOTION and can't get up

*** ORIGINALLY REVIEWED = NOV 2015 ***
So basically....FJADS28472QUIOQYQQQREUYEIP HOW DO I DO WORDS I LOVE THIS OMG. 2U18WQERWRWKLJKJ K...*collapses weeping* This book is good okay? I was dubious. I spent the first, nearly, 200-pages not loving it. I was confused and then...and then. SUDDENLY I JUST ADORED EVERYTHING.

I'm a big fan of books with quirky formatting and this? This takes the cake. And the tea and crumpets and planets. It's like ART as well as a book. There are pictures (!!) of the spaceships (!!!!!) and it's full of messages and transcripts and sun bursting explosions and gobs and gobs of dialogue. I love dialogue. And yes, it lacked description for some things..but, heck, I don't even really care about description. SO I WAS 100% OKAY WITH THAT.

Why was I confused? Um. Heavy sci-fi lingo, folks. HEAVY. I still actually am unsure about a LOT of details and things, including WHY they were under attack. Yes I am a deluded pineapple brained melon. BUT. I TRY. It was just very .... difficult at times? There are blocks of text of some random people observing the main characters/events and those felt a bit dry to me.

Buuuuut. Somehow...that all aside...I FREAKING LOVED IT?!?!?!?!??!? I CANNOT EVEN RIGHT NOW OKAY. It absolutely punched me in the feels like no other. And I'm squeaking because...wow. It's genius. These authors (Aussies, btw) are genius.

OKAY!! But a quick overview on what the book is actually about for those of you who are like "Yeah, that's all well and good, CAit, but what's the freaking lump of pages about????" I shall answer thee.
(By the way, it totally is a brick. 600 pages and it's HEAVY. My arms hurt from reading it. #BookwormTragedy)

Small Summary Of Things In This Book:
• It is about two teens (Ezra and Kady) whose planet gets destroyed and they end up on separate getaway ships. There is another ship coming to kill them. Idek why. I didn't...get that bit. (My bad.)
• Kady is a hacker. (!!!!!!)
• Ezra is a donkey.
• HAHA JUST KIDDING. Ezra is adorable and kind of has violent/anger issues and is a scream.
• They're both really REALLY sarcastic, okay?!? Which I love.
• Unfortunately when the book starts they've just broken up, so they hate each other...but they also still totally love each other. So that's awkward teenage love for you.
• YES the book is entirely told in pictures, files, instant-message conversations, and a few chapters of description from, like, a security camera sort of thing.
• And it's also told from the POV of an evil computer named AIDEN who is wonderful. I love ADIEN. <3 AIDEN is also a psychopath, totally, which is awkward considering I just said I love him (but forgive me) and is eeeevil as well as protectable. Whatever that means. Idek, humans, I'm doing my best. I'm fighting off a bookhangover here. I AM DRUNK ON ILLUMINAE.
[Kady] "Um, because you're loopier than Flacky McPsycho, Mayor of Crazytown?"
[AIDEN] "My databases show no record of this Crazytown of which you speak. A brain the size of an entire city burns inside me. My intelligence quotient is beyond the human scale. I would prefer if you did not refer to me in such a fashion."
"Oh, poor baby. Did I hurt the mass-murdering psychopathic artificial intelligence's feelings?"

• What was I even saying? Omgooord.
• SO. There is tons of heavy sci-fi lingo. Sometimes I was very much like "WUT WUT WUT" but I think if you get past the first 100 or so pages you get into a flow.
• It gets REALLY emotional, which is hard to believe for a book that totally is functioning on messages and transcripts of documents, right?!? BUT IT DOES.
• The ending reduced me to a screeching wormhole of stars and glitter and terrible roaring wails. All. All of it. You see the problem here?
• Also there's lots of shooting and fighting and kind of an undead disease thing.
• And all the swear words are blanked out for "censoring", which I found a LITTLE ridiculous, but kind of quirky too? But, seriously, this book has the MOST swearing of any YA I've read, I think. o.O Just because it's blanked out ain't meaning I don't focus on it.
• There was a part where I howled particularly loud and considered tossing the book across my room, but a) I didn't want to break a wall because this book is so FRIKKING BIG and b) I kind of wanted to read on. #bookwormtragedies
• Oh and because of all the instant-messaging transcripts, there are actually typos!! I LOVE THAT. Best book ever! TYPOOOOOS. I want to write a book where I can get away with typos, gawsh darnit.
• I want book two.
• LIKE NOOOOOOOOW.
• And it reminded me simultaneously of Eagle Eye (fabulous movie with evil computer, go watch it now) and also Star Trek. So smush them together = Illuminae.

I really have nothing left to say except: WOW. I thought I'd like it but, gawsh, those 100 first pages freaked me out that I wouldn't. I was definitely bored in some places and I missed not knowing much about the characters features. And I missed lyrical prose. There's a little? But really not much. It was a feels ride and...OH. I really want to listen to the audio book!! I've heard it's got some epic quirks too. SO BASICALLY I NEED IT NOW. This is like one of the only times I've literally put down a book and gone "yuuup but I wanna read it again".

The hype is true, humans. THE HYPE IS TRUE.

[Ezra] "you deserve every star in the galaxy laid out at your feet and a thousand diamonds in your hair. You deserve someone who'll run with you as far as and as fast as you want to. Holding your hand, not holding you back. You deserve more than I could ever give you, Kady. But I'll give you everything I can if you still want me to."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminae.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Amie Kaufman
“I am frequently underestimated. I think it's because I'm short.”

“She is catalyst.
She is chaos.
I can see why he loves her.”

Amie Kaufman
“Um, because you're loopier than Flacky McPsycho, Mayor of Crazytown?"

"Oh, poor baby. Did I hurt the mass-murdering psychopathic artificial intelligence's feelings?”

January 9, 2015 – Shelved
January 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November, 2015 – Started Reading
November, 2015 – Finished Reading
page 50
8.35% "I basically have NO IDEA WHAt'S GOING ON, but omg it's so funny. I'm snortling."
page 100
16.69% "THEY JUST USED A KEYBOARD SMASH aHHHHHH. All caps. Keyboard smash. Omg, it's possible this book is gonna be everything.\n \n (Except I still don't quite know who's fighting who and why...but that might be the point?)"
page 301
50.25% "So the computer system is going through a rebellious stage. Killing all the things. *nods*"
November 13, 2015 –
page 428
71.45% "WUT WUT WUT NO. NO I REFUSE. PLS NO.\n \n Basically me to AIDEN:\n description"
November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: sci-fi
November 13, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 25, 2016 –
page 16
2.67% "Since everyone else is reading Gemina and I do not have it in my clammy paws...TIME TO RE-READ ILLUMINAE!!\nAnd I'm listening to the audio so this should be interesting."
October 27, 2016 –
page 135
22.54% "I love re-reading. Because I have NO MEMORY OF THIS PLACE AT ALL. Like did I read this book???? Did a clone read it for me??? All these plot twists are new omg????"
October 29, 2016 –
page 362
60.43% "I admit to be a liiiiiittle too excited when the psychopathic computer made his grand entrance.\nYEAH, I'M WORRIED ABOUT ME TOO."
October 30, 2016 –
page 422
70.45% "THERE IT IS.\nTHERE'S THE PLOT TWIST THAT KILLS ME EVERY TIME.\nOH LOOK THERE'S MY SOUL BROKEN INTO LITTLE PIECES ON THE FLOOR I CAN'T BREATHE."
October 30, 2016 –
page 460
76.79% "AIDAN has more existential crisis meltdowns than a teenager. Bless him."
November 4, 2016 –
page 584
97.5% "*EVERYTHING EXPLODING HORRIBLY*\nAidan: Seatbelts!"
November 5, 2016 – Started Reading
November 5, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
November 5, 2016 – Shelved as: reread
November 5, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

Lucia Well, well, well. Now I am even more excited about reading this book than I was before reading your review (I am still worried about lack of prose but you put me to ease. A little.)
Anyway, I think it is time to write email to BD so they hurry up with the delivery. I want this brick of a book asap!

Figgy I was the same! 200 pages in, I was a little burnt out, and was like "At 250 I'll put it down for the day and have a rest." Then I HIT 250, and suddenly it's 5am and I'm turning the last page of the book!

Alicia Okay, this is the best review of this book. It makes me super excited.

message 4: by Kirstyn (new) - added it

Kirstyn This sounds so good!!

message 5: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee This just makes me even more sad that I won't be able to get a copy for months. *sob*

message 6: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe I TOLD YOU THAT YOU'D LOVE THIS!

C.G. Drews @Lucia: OH OH don't be worried about the lack of prose!! There are some chapters in kinda prose? And there's plenty of back-and-forth dialogue too which is epic. HEHE. I hope it arrives soon for you!!

@Figgy: I KNOOOOOW RIGHT?!?! I think it takes a bit to get into the style too. *nods*

@Alicia: AHHH THANK YOU. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed my chaotic flailngs.

C.G. Drews @Kirstyn: IT IS SO GOOD. OMG.

@Bieke: *sobs with you* TRAGEDY, TBH.

@Zoe: OF COURSE. #BookishTwin

message 9: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Right? XD

message 10: by Poulami (last edited Nov 14, 2015 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Poulami OMG! Got me cracking up at "Ezra is a donkey" xDDD
REALLY CAN'T FREAKING WAIT TO READ THIS BOOK, SPECIALLY AFTER READING YOUR REVIEW!!

message 11: by Axel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Axel I thought it was AIDAN? Either way, I loved that piece of machinery! Like is he really a robot or computer? He's so humaan

message 12: by La La (new)

La La I have to read 200 pages before it get's good?! I just started it and I am not linking it at all. It is really cliché. Like watching a second rate made for TV movie. :/

message 13: by Elm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elm I have just finished reading and I actually can't and IT HURTS MY GOD, I thought the ending would be SO different and I just cried. And cried. Also, Aidan. I feel... I don't know WHAT to feel any more. WHEN's THE SECOND BOOK AAARGH!

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Elm: I FEEL THE SAME FEELS I DO. OMG. But apparently Gemini has different characters!?!?!? :'(

message 15: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Yes, but the ones from this book will come back Cait! I think it's like the Starbound books and the Lunar Chronicles that way. :)

message 16: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam This is on my tbr pile so I think I'll wait to read your review until afterwards, but I'm impressed by how much you wrote!

message 17: by helen❣️ (new) - added it

helen❣️ i am COMPLETELY in the WUT WUT WUT part.... plus a tip: audiobooks are VERY confusing if u were watching HTGAWM at the same time and you only realized your audiobook was playing in your ears the whole time after binge-watching like 3 episodes....

sofia (sam willows) Cait, Gemina is 1000% better! I really dont know how though, because this book is AWESOME

message 19: by Figgy (last edited Nov 05, 2016 04:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Figgy Sam wrote: "Cait, Gemina is 1000% better! I really dont know how though, because this book is AWESOME"

I actually liked Gemina a little less. Not to the point of not liking it, but this was a 9, and Gemina was an 8 for me.

Much less AIDAN...

sofia (sam willows) Yeah, we had too little of Aidan :(

message 21: by Aneesa (new)

Aneesa oh wow! You have a way with words :)

message 23: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Waaah less AIDAN in Gemina?!? *stamps foot* NOT OKAY. I LOVE AIDAN.

message 24: by THT Steph (new)

THT Steph I am so tempted to pick it up. I have Illuminae on my shelf, but am trying to bargain with myself not to start another series until I finish a few. Great review.

nicole viana Yes!! I need to re read this after I finish GEMINA!

message 26: by lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

lila ASDFGHJK I TOTALLY READ IT CAUSE YOU LOVE IT AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. Give it all the freaking stars

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Prabhleen: AJFDKSAL <-- THE ONLY WAY TO SUM UP TRUE FEELINGS FOR THIS FANTASTIC MONSTROUS BEAST OF PERFECTION.

Candlewick Books THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!

Meghan Powers MAN YOU'VE GOTTA READ GEMINA I'M READING IT RIGHT NOW AND I AM DYING THIS IS SO GOOD

message 31: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Meg: I will!! I will!!

Maggie Chen WAIT, YOU HAVEN'T READ GEMINA?!!! WTF ARE U THINKING?? READ IT NOW!!! CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT IT :"D I'M SOOO IN LOVE WITH THIS SERIES!

message 33: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Maggie: I only just got it from the library since the reserve list was long. :/

message 34: by Ayla (last edited Jan 27, 2017 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayla Oh, and have you seen the hardcover version as well?? SO PRETTY omg I was literally crying for it's beautifulness the first time I saw it (ok, not crying, but it was close xD)

message 35: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ayla: Oh I would cry over it's beautifulness too. :') The hardcovers are aLWAYS BETTER.

message 36: by Ayla (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ayla Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Ayla: Oh I would cry over it's beautifulness too. :') The hardcovers are aLWAYS BETTER."

YESS :D

Shafimma Me too.. At first I feel confused about the whole thing, then Baamm suddenly everything make sense and I become obsessed with this book. Thank you for your lovely review

Sheharzad ⚘ because of this epic, feels-filled review, this is going to be on top of my tbr list! I'M SO EXCITED BY THIS REVIEW SDKHFSDKJHF

message 39: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Perrier Hey its Nora from Pinterest. I feel the same way about this book, I just finished the audiobook!!!!!

Avie Riley AIDAN. Why did I ship them? I don't know, but I did.
Why did I cry when reading the perspective of a murdering AI?
I don't know, but I did.

message 42: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Avie: RELATABLE.

Nitzan Schwarz You're my favorite <3

message 44: by Ronyell (new) - added it

Ronyell Awesome review! AAAAHHH!!! I loved this book!!!