Sarah's Reviews > The Baking Bible

The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

liked it
bookshelves: cookbooks-and-food-writing

I'm sure this is blasphemy, but I do not love this book. I appreciate it; there are some great-looking baked goods in here. But-- her super detail makes me crazy. I am frustrated by the sheer amount of effort put into figuring things down to the gram. Does my reaction make sense? Probably not, but it is what it is. Call it my own form of rebellion. Will I try many of these recipes, probably with outstanding results? You better believe it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baking Bible.

January 9, 2015 – Started Reading
January 9, 2015 – Shelved
May 2, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Sweta (new)

Sweta Agrawal I like and use a lot her bread bible, but I totally get what you mean. the detail is nice in the context of bread at least!

Sarah Sweta wrote: "I like and use a lot her bread bible, but I totally get what you mean. the detail is nice in the context of bread at least!"

There are some times it's warranted but I am exhausted by her level of detail. When I look inward I realize that it's because it is quite the opposite of my own kitchen philosophy... But yes, I love the idea of her charts and weights and notes in a bread book.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Kandell Her argument is that's how you produce exactly the same product, which she tested. But I'm with you: I'd rather have a recipe that was more flexible rather than one that was disaster if not followed exactly. And I say that as someone who uses a scale when cooking!

Sarah Jonathan wrote: "Her argument is that's how you produce exactly the same product, which she tested. But I'm with you: I'd rather have a recipe that was more flexible rather than one that was disaster if not follow..."

I am more of a cook than a baker, so I rail against precision sometimes-- but I love my scale, too!