Kristin's Reviews > Since You've Been Gone

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

bookshelves: books-i-own

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book! I've heard good things about Morgan Matson, but honestly YA is hit-or-miss for me. I mean, something like the Lunar Chronicles or dystopian is one thing, but contemporaries about teenagers usually get on my nerves. I can say, by far, this is my favorite YA contemporary that I've read. It was fun and enjoyable and it even made me tear up a couple of times.

Shy, awkward people are terribly under-represented as main characters in books, so Emily being that way was refreshing! I could definitely relate to the way she felt a lot of the time. And I liked that while she did grow and change and become more confident and comfortable with herself over the course of the book, it wasn't about turning her into some crazy outgoing extrovert, thankfully.

There were some predictable aspects to the story, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. The friendships between Emily, Frank, Collins, and Dawn were awesome. Frank was great. I loved him from the beginning. He's just such a nice guy! (view spoiler)

And I have to mention that I was so pleased with how clean this book was. There's a bit of underage drinking and such, but I don't think there was a single swear word in the entire book. I can't even explain how much I appreciated that! Other authors, take note from Ms. Matson: you can tell a great story without using profanity.

Can't wait to read more of Morgan Matson's books!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Since You've Been Gone.

January 9, 2015 – Shelved
page 131
July 26, 2015 –
page 285
July 27, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Rissi (new)

Rissi Loved Morgan's "Amy and Roger" and have heard, this one is her best yet. :) Glad you liked this novel, Kristin.

Kristin Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is the next of hers that I'll be picking up, I hope! I had planned on reading that one first, but it just worked out for this one instead. I hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it!

message 3: by Rissi (new)

Rissi Kristin wrote: "Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is the next of hers that I'll be picking up, I hope! I had planned on reading that one first, but it just worked out for this one instead. I hope you enjoy it if you get t..."

Thanks, Kristin. Who knows, perhaps I'll get it read this summer yet - and same to you. Hope you enjoy "Amy and Roger." (Great review, BTW! :D)