Sjcapanna's Reviews > This Must Be the Place

Aug 10, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010
Read in August, 2010

I chose this book because it got a glowing review in People magazine. I know, People might not be the best source for literary recommendations, but I find reviews by high-faluting, snobby literary types to be just as unreliable.

I figured this book would be good in a quietly charming kind of way. You know, like the kind of book that is enjoyable not so much for the dramatic plot twists, but because of good writing and likable characters. While this book did have the latter two, it just somehow didn't work for me. The main problem was that there was only one big, mysterious secret to be revealed, and it was so easy to figure out very early on. I just felt like I was being strung along for like 200 pages, and the carrot dangling in front of me wasn't even all that interesting. Also this book suffered from the presence of a subplot about a character who was irrelevant to the main story. I figured the main story and the subplot would end up being related in the end, but no.

This would have made a good short story. As a novel, it felt like it was ridiculously padded with nauseating over-description of EVERYTHING. It was as if the author was paid by the word.

I only bothered to finish this book because I got it through inter-library loan, and somehow I felt I owed it to the librarians and the guy who drives the library truck to at least finish the book. Adding to this sense of obligation was the fact that I realized I was the very first library patron to crack this book, which I actually found more exciting than the story itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Must Be the Place.

09/01/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sheryl As a librarian, I can tell you that you don't owe it to us to finish a book you don't like! The guru of librarians, Nancy Pearl, suggests you stop at 50 pages if you don't like it, and if you are over 50 years old, subtract a page for each year over 50 you are. Life is short; read what you enjoy!

Sjcapanna Thanks, that is a good rule. Many people suggest 100 pages as the point where you fish or cut bait, but that seems like a lot.

Kathleen Crowell I felt the "mystery" was secondary and this was mostly a character study. My rule is to get to page 100 and then decide if I want to continue or not--in this case, I had it on my wish list for so long and finally got it out of the library--I felt like I had to finish!

Britany I too read this from a People magazine rec... majorly disappointed!! Great review!

Marta I made it to page 125 before I decided to give up. Agree that life is too short, so many books to read, so little time.