Sharon Hughson's Reviews > Night Marchers

Night Marchers by Rebecca Gober

19362489

it was ok

I really don't want to give this book a starred rating.
I feel for the authors and all the hard work I know they put into creating this story. It reads like a first book and I had trouble getting past the rambling sentences. The story started in the wrong place and took too long to hook me. It doesn't really end - just sets up the next installment.
Strangely, this first person narration didn't connect me to the main character. She had no distinctive personality. Rather than feeling like I was inside her head, it was like listening to someone read aloud a poorly contrived journal.
I don't want to bash it. Maybe it wasn't my thing. It's not really a ghost story - and it incorporates some interesting fantasy elements (hidden races, immortality, curses), but I didn't bond with the main character. The character I loved - introduced in the prologue - ended up sacrificing himself - as I knew he would.
I have the second book, but I'm in no hurry to read it. Even with the cliffhanger-type ending, I'm not compelled to learn what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Marchers.

January 8, 2015 – Started Reading
January 8, 2015 – Shelved
January 14, 2015 –
75.0% "This book started slow and the writing isn't compelling. I do like the problem and premise, however, so I'm committing myself to finishing this book."
January 16, 2015 – Finished Reading