Tom's Reviews > Heart-Shaped Box

Aug 10, 2010

liked it
Read from August 10 to 20, 2010

Heart Shaped Box

This book is really creepy. I find the idea of a ghost making people do & say things (things that they don't want to do or say) deeply disturbing. Maybe I got too freaked out by that movie "Poltergeist" when I was a teenager. Creepy little kids and ghosts taking over your body... shudder.

But, once I got through the first few chapters, I got inured to the creepiness. That's probably a good thing, otherwise I probably wouldn't have finished the book. There are some really distasteful things that happen in those first few chapters that kind of put me off. For that matter, there's a few distasteful things in latter chapters too.

I also had a few issues with some of the plot details at the end. Without giving too much away, there's a scene were a major character loses a finger at, what has got to be, a major crime scene. The lopped- off finger is not really dealt with in any way. Yes, the character has to get doctored up, but what happened to the FINGER? Did it just disappear? Wouldn't the CSI guys question where a finger came from? I also felt that the dogs, which were really built up as spiritual protectors, were almost unceremoniously disposed of later in the story. That was unfortunate. They were a pretty good story element and I expected them to play a much bigger role in the end.

Minor quibbles aside, it's a decent creepy read... if you're into that kind of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart-Shaped Box.