Beth's Reviews > Mothers Ruined

Mothers Ruined by Aimee Horton

1941524

I haven't read the other books featuring Dottie so first I can't comment on her being back but I can comment on what a charismatic and warm character she is. There's a sense of neediness about her I can seriously relate to - knowing nobody and having young kids that keep you in the house is never fun - and even when she's at her lowest moments there's a touch of humour and genuine warmth which makes her a really fun character to read.

The best thing by far about this novel is its honesty. Above all else it tells you nobody is perfect and it's a strength of the novelist that her leading lady can have as many flaws as she does but still such a great sense of humour. The coffee morning scenes strike fear into me and make me a little thankful there's nothing like that going on in my life. This novel reminded me a lot in style and tone of The Hive by Gill Hornby. Initially I thought I was perhaps comparing because I read them relatively close together but looking back I'd definitely say there are similarities.

The funny moments will have you nodding and groaning as well as chuckling. I think the baby monitors are a really ingenious touch and as things unfold I found myself racing to the end to find out who'd get their comeuppance and if Dottie would come out unscathed!

I really loved Dottie in the driving seat but I'd also quite like to see things from Tina's point of view, as well as the other key female characters in the novel - each one of their stories could probably be a novel in itself. There's real scope for more and I'm keen to see what the author has coming next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mothers Ruined.

May 24, 2014 –