The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears's Reviews > Earthrise

Earthrise by M.C.A. Hogarth

The cover! The cover! I adore this cover! So much awesomesauce with this cover! A heroine with dark skin and braids. How often does THAT happen in any genre? Julie Dillon is just so amazing when it comes to creating incredible fantasy art with PoC front and center.

Happy happy! Joy joy! Dancing around the room listening to the latest Blind Guardian. It's been ages since I've read such a kick-ass swashbuckling sci-fi adventure. The last one I'd read with a Black female lead was Ascension (which was also kick-ass).

Not only was this an amazing story, but intrepid ship captain Reese was the kind of heroine that I miss. Tough, no-nonsense, a bit unlucky in trying to keep her ship, the Earthrise, out of the red, but she's very loyal to her motley crew which includes a phoenix, two humanoid tigranes, a humanoid centaur and a cute aura reading fuzzball (which reminded me of a smarter tribble). Better still, there's no pesky romance to get in the way of the derring-do and adventure. Having said that, there's definitely the kind of push-pull between Reese and the mysterious Eldritch Hirianthial (and whoa, do I want this man because he's my kind of kryptonite, especially the long hair), but it doesn't take up the entire book nor does Reese lose her agency. Moreover, Reese makes mistakes, takes crazy risks that made me want to smack her, but the risks make sense for the kind of character she was.

Yes there's science and incredible world-building, but the most important aspects are the story and the characters. disparate beings manage to work together and create their own version of family. And it's hilarious that Reese is a huge romance reader (especially romances featuring the Eldritch) only to rescue one and discover Hirianthial isn't even close to the fictional being she read about. He's got secrets and isn't the least bit frail.

I'm off to read the next book in the series Rose Point, curious to see just what Reese and her crew manage to get into next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earthrise.

January 7, 2015 – Shelved
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: omg-hot-cover
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: strong-female-characters
March 21, 2015 – Shelved as: strong-female-friendships
March 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Treece (new) - added it

Treece Really awesome review!

Choko Great review:-)