Amie's Reviews > Brunelleschi's Dome: How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture

Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King

F 50x66
Aug 09, 2010

Read in July, 2010

This was a fascinating book about the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence. It talks about Filippo Brunelleschi, and his absolute genius in constructing a dome that spans 140 feet, without any sort of supporting framework. He solved each problem as it arose, and even invented a lot of the machinery and equipment he needed.

It is amazing to me that a good portion of the duomo had been built before there was even a call for plans to construct the dome. Still more amazing that Brunelleschi's ambitious model was selected, though he didn't know exactly how he would execute it. And most amazing that it all worked out, resulting in one of the most beautiful structures of the Renaissance.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Its subject matter had the potential to become tedious, but never did. Ross King even managed to slip in a little information about Brunelleschi's personal life, and his professional rivalry with Lorenzo Ghiberti, who designed the bronze doors of the baptistry.

King has written other books on various topics of art history. I plan to look for them, based just on how much I enjoyed this read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brunelleschi's Dome.