Glenn Conley's Reviews > Digital Heretic

Digital Heretic by Terry Schott

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed

** spoiler alert ** At the end of the first book in this series, The Game, I thought to myself, 'Wait a minute, this is a game within a game, isn't it?'. And sure enough, with this book, that's what it is.

Our hero, Trew dies at the end of the first book. Well, he was mostly dead, anyway. His body was only kept alive by machines. But, guess what happens in this book? Go ahead, guess. Do you think he's really dead? Or does he just wake up suddenly, as if by miracle?

You guessed it! He's alive and well. Yippie! Who the fuck cares? Jesus tapdancing christ. If you're gonna kill someone, fucking kill them, goddamnit. I fucking swear, everyone who 'dies' in this fucking book ends up just coming back, refreshed and spry as ever.

Anyway, this book is about the ever-growing conspiracy, about who can manipulate The Game. Because, there's this prophecy, or something, that when Danni dies, The Game will end. If that happens, then all the players around the world will drop dead. Really dead. Not this bullshit come-back-to-life dead, I mean real-life dead.

Okay, fine. So, pull all the players out of the goddamn game, already. What's the fucking problem? Just shut down the game, before Danni can die. Pull her out, along with everyone else. End of conflict.

But, I guess that's just too goddamn easy. Instead, most of this book is about an evil programmer who ended up becoming The Game's Lucifer. And he's systematically killing off players. Oh noes. Big fucking deal. If they die in the game, they just wake up in real life. So, why should I shed one fucking tear? It's not real death, it's not even real conflict. it's just fake make-believe computer-generated conflict.

Fuck that shit. Give me some real goddamn conflict, for fuck's sake. Give me something to actually care about. Not just this fucking intrigue, where this might be a game within a game. Or maybe there's not a game at all. Maybe there really is a God, and he's controlling the whole goddamn planet. Who the fuck knows?

This book just gave me too many questions, without enough answers. And it left on a motherfucking cliffhanger. Goddamn cocksucking authors and their fucking series. I get it, it's your job to drag us along, so we want to read the next one.

But, fuck you man. At least give me a stand-alone story, that's compelling enough in and of itself, that I actually want to read the next one. Don't just write a 300 page fucking preview of the series for fuck's sake. Because that's what this book is, in the end. Just a motherfucking preview.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digital Heretic.

January 7, 2015 – Started Reading
January 7, 2015 – Shelved
January 8, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed
January 8, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Funniest review ever! Don't need to read the book now, this was entertaining enough!

Ryan I think you missed something very important in the book. Your anger was probably clouding your reading comprehension, so we can let it slide, but I'll explain it to you.

The Infernals were not working for Shane, in fact, they sent one of their own on a suicide mission to gather intelligence on him so they could take him out. The Infernals were actually working with the Eternals and doing exactly what you said, taking players out of the game. When it was explained that all the players would die in the game, and in real life, when Stephanie dies; the Infernals start selectively culling the population. They "kill" all the followers of the Game movement to remove them from the game and put them safely back on Tygon. They are doing something that, in the eyes of the players on earth looks like genocide, but in the context of the bigger picture is actually the right and moral thing to do. We can question why only the Gamers were selected, and if this is moral, but I am sure you can figure out the reason. It's probably explained int the next book.

What I took from this theme is an explanation for the question: How could a loving God allow so many terrible and evil things in this world? The author has built a world(s) in which he is able to answer all manner of age old, unanswerable, philosophical/theological questions like this.

Look a little deeper next time you read a book, it might help with that anger problem.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Lmao!! Haha love it, rt @lydia