Andrew's Reviews > Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored

Anger is an Energy by John Lydon

bookshelves: music, biog-autobiog

The second autobiography by John Lydon though this one plus far more expansive than the first.
The first was ultimately a book about the Pistols a almost 'setting the record stranger's tome in regard to the early punk years ,this book does go over that ground but in more concise form and expands further by embracing the post pistols years from PIL to TV work and beyond.
As such I enjoyed this book far more...much as I appreciate the Pistols musically I was more in tune with PIL and as such I enjoyed this book far more.
Though aware of his cultural worth its interesting to see Lydon define his songs as Pop songs not choosing to dress them up as alternative rock or something..this is a small thing but I liked that..I liked the fact that he doesn't seem too precious in regard to how his sound is defined.
It was also of interest to see him speak of artists he admires or whom maybe he isn't the biggest fan but has found some worth in on human terms...in the past the pithy sound bites haven't maybe reflected who or what inspired him so it's great to see John being open to a whole host of stuff.
All in all I have read better biographies but there's a lot to admire in regard this one ...if only the fact that as the years have progressed John's willingness to challenge himself appears not to have dimmed...future pursuits outside music seem likely in regard to this and I can't help but be optimistic this will be so as John is always a colourful character....in more then hair alone...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anger is an Energy.

January 7, 2015 – Started Reading