Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Where All Light Tends to Go

Where All Light Tends to Go by David    Joy

Jan 07, 2015

bookshelves: best-2015

The setting of Appalachia has an almost immediate effect on me, like a dark, murky cesspool of ruin. Happy things don't happen here...we know this...and the weight of it is palpable. This is really an amazing debut novel that will rip your heart out.

It DID take me a really long time to read it. I was distracted, but also I think I was dreading the conclusion, figuring it was going to be ugly. I was right, the story ended on a note not easily forgotten. However, there is no way I would have seen it coming either. I finished the book cursing the author.

Here is the setup. 19 year-old boy raised by a meth dealer father and a meth addict mother. Dropped out of high school, and missing his beautiful childhood sweetheart who he feels has a chance "to get out". The two still love each other, despite differences in social status. He believes that he is hard-wired for failure and doesn't deserve a better life. Things start to spin out of control when he is required to do a little dirty work to prove his worth to his father. Ironically, while his father believes him weak, he is unfaltering in his belief in right, wrong, and justice.

Bleak, yes, but so beautifully-written, in a dialect that seems to be as gritty as this young man tries to be. The reader is offered a shred of hope for just a moment. Then our hearts are destroyed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where All Light Tends to Go.

January 7, 2015 – Started Reading
January 7, 2015 – Shelved
January 29, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2015 – Shelved as: best-2015

Natalie Just a quick note: beautiful and amazing things happen in Appalachia, too.