Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Lock In

Lock In by John Scalzi

Jan 07, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: audio

I'd never read Scalzi before, but he is such a cool guy on Twitter! So hip and witty. And then I found out Wil Wheaton was narrating the audio, and that did it. Small digression: Audible apparently produced the audio, and can ONLY be obtained through Audible. No libraries can get it. This feels creepy and mean-spirited to me.

I will start off by saying that the premise is absolute genius. Flu virus wipes out a bunch of people. Some survivors then experience meningitis-like symptoms then become "locked in"...fully aware mentally, but physically unable to move. Because the First Lady is one of the 5 million locked in, mega bucks are thrown at the issue, and technology is created where a network is implanted in the lock-in's brain, and can experience life through human-like robots (called threeps) or other human "integrators". Issues abound here...are threeps to be treated like humans? Will lock-ins be allowed to have children? Then there is the whole mind-control thing, network hacking, government funding of the disease, and the list just goes on and on.

But that is all background. The plot of this story is a veteran FBI agent and a lock-in rookie, operating via a threep, that investigate a murder that appears to be related to a lock-in. Big players with big money are involved, and people run around shooting and blowing up and stuff. At ground zero, the story is really rooted in this new world with new kinds of problems. It got very complicated and at times difficult to understand, and the murder mystery itself was pedestrian. Despite all of that, I was just in awe of the world-building that Scalzi created. It was complete and complex and amazing. At the end of the audio, there was a verbal history (told from many different voices and different points of view) of the genesis of the virus, how it started, how it spread, the political implications, etc. This guy really dotted his I's and crossed his T's.

The audio was narrated by the amazing Wil Wheaton, but there was also an option of listening to it narrated by Amber Benson. I'm not sure I understand that but oh well. Wheaton is an amazing narrator, with his wholesome sounding guy-next-door voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock In.

January 7, 2015 – Started Reading