~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~'s Reviews > The Perfume Collector

The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro

bookshelves: ravenclaw-mmp, chick-lit, historical-fiction, women-fiction

4 paperwhites-scented, beautiful Paris stars.

This turned out to be an unexpectedly good book. I’m not much of a Perfume-obsessed woman, but this book got me intrigued to the extent that I am contemplating on sitting and spending all day on the look-out for some fine perfume online.

The stories begins all of a sudden in New York, where Grace Munroe, a socialite in progress, receives a letter from Paris asking her to claim heirship for a certain Eva D’orsey. Someone she wasn’t sure of ever hearing of, let alone meeting. Only thing she’s certain about is that this was some humongous gaffe from the other end. Caught in a messed-up situation upon facing betrayal from her husband, Grace decides to head on to Paris for reasons more than one.
Life for her started tumbling in a direction she never knew, when she learnt of the bequest being totally fair and true. Together with Monsieur Tissot, Grace embarks on unravelling the biggest mystery of her life, Madame D’orsey.

Despite her pitfalls, I quite happened to like Eva. She was a commanding woman, and every time her name transpired amongst the populace, it signified a kind of power that is as rare as anything heard of. The way she transformed is breathtaking. From a simple maid, to being world-class perfumer Andre Valmont’s muse, from being a toy at the hands of Lambert to exercising complete authority over him, from being Aphrodite in disguise to being the soft-hearted mother, she was the effigy of supremacy in women lore. I liked the transitions in all the characters, though Eva’s was simply the most demanding.

I loved the detailing about the perfumes. The way they represent not only a scent, but a different world. And I loved Madame Zed’s theory : “A perfume must tell a story.”

The start was kind of unappealing and it lacked the ideal lustre. However, it got quite better towards the middle; so by the time I reached the end, my palate was satisfied.

One of the major drawbacks that I found with this book was the French. There was no translation at many places. It’s okay if there are titbits once or twice, but sometimes I completely missed the point because of the extensive use of French. The plot was excellent, but lacked that finishing spell which would have made me go “Wow!”

All in all, a good book. 4 stars for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfume Collector.

January 7, 2015 – Shelved
January 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 3, 2015 – Started Reading
February 6, 2015 –
page 143
30.82% ""Sometimes I think the only things we have in common with one another are our shortcomings.""
February 8, 2015 –
page 314
67.67% "The ideal muse is a woman whose rough edges and contradictions drive you to fill in the blanks of her character. She is the irritant to your creativity. A remarkable possibility, waiting to be formed."
February 9, 2015 – Shelved as: ravenclaw-mmp
February 9, 2015 – Shelved as: chick-lit
February 9, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
February 9, 2015 – Shelved as: women-fiction
February 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Zaara (new)

Zaara I've always wanted to read tessaros other big book, elegance...haven't found it anywhere yet.,,apparently it's better...