Jen's Reviews > Infinite Days

Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel

liked it
bookshelves: paid-full-price, books-i-own, read-in-2010

Going into Infinite Days, I was not expecting much. A couple of my friends on GoodReads had read this prior to me picking it up and hadn't had much good to say about it. Me, I like to read 3-star books and see if I can find something that others missed. Ultimately, they were pretty spot on.

I can't complain about the plot originality and bass-ackwardness of Infinite Days. A vampire turning human? STFU.

Lenah's story appealed to me because it consisted of about 90% here and now and 10% flashbacks. Flashbacks, FTW. Seriously. Lenah has been a bad, bad girl. Malicious, cold-hearted, apathetic. I, for one, loved it. I've grown tired of the run-of-the-mill stories where the vampires are striving for altruism and run away from their inner monster. Lenah was so bitter due to super old vamp Rhode stealing her away from her family, her orchard, and her humanity. She capitalized on her vampness.

Apparently, eternal maleficence wasn't in the cards, if you ask Lenah. She longed for mortality.

And that's where it all went downhill.

Lenah-as-human didn't strike as strong a chord with me as vamp!Lenah. Reading about her transition into human life was comical, at times (in the listening room, namely.) I also giggled when she had murderous thoughts about the mean girls, but that's not a nice thing to say. She met up with best guy friend, Tony, who falls in love with her. But of course, the heroine of a story can never go for the guy who is interesting, has depth, can participate in meaningful conversation, and is artistically gifted.

Nope. She falls for justinenos (he may as well not even have a first and last name, because readers are constantly reminded which Justin in the story she's talking about. And there are so many of them.) Much emphasis was put on his rebellious nature, but there wasn't much to back it up. He raced boats and smirked a lot. Rhode and Vicken ENDED LIVES. Lenah's point of view on rebellion is rather skewed, methinks.

Why must MCs be punished by falling in love with the wet noodle? Tony was awesome. Rhode was awesome. Heck, even Vicken had more spark and life than justinenos. The romance wasn't believable. It was too quick, "ILY" after a week, and I didn't feel the chemistry.

Regardless of choice of companion, Infinite Days was a compelling story. Rebecca Maizel can write, there's no doubt about that. She's a wonderful storyteller! I'm just sorry that she didn't spend more time on creating a more intriguing boyfriend. I will still read Stolen Nights in hope of getting some of my questions answered....and I really freaking want some more flashbacks to BAMF Lenah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinite Days.

August 9, 2010 – Shelved
August 9, 2010 – Shelved as: paid-full-price
September 12, 2010 – Started Reading
September 12, 2010 –
0.0% "Because I'm interested in the suck factor of this book. Maybe we'll make it two one-stars in a row!"
September 12, 2010 – Shelved as: books-i-own
September 12, 2010 –
page 18
5.84% "Enter the mush talk about eternal love and self-sacrifice!"
September 13, 2010 –
page 30
9.74% "Slow goin'. I need a month off work (with pay!) to devote to reading. Bring "holidays" to America!"
September 16, 2010 –
page 55
17.86% "I actually enjoy this so far. I like Lenah's transition into human life and especially the flashbacks :)"
September 18, 2010 –
page 150
48.7% "I like this muchly so far."
September 19, 2010 –
page 253
September 21, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-2010
September 21, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Nic (last edited Sep 22, 2010 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nic Why must MCs be punished by falling in love with the wet noodle? Summed up perfectly what ruined this book for me - the wet noodle. LOL. Another awesome review :)

Morgan F Hate justinenos!