charlotte's Reviews > Three Parts Dead

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone

F 50x66

bookshelves: series-i-never-finished

Bad-ass magic lady lawyers in a mystical, steampunk world, have to resurrect a dead god so he can fulfill his obligations to his followers. This is ancient, do-ut-des ("I give to you so that you will give to me") pagan religion taken to a logical, modernist conclusion. It's world-building after my own heart, starting with the economy and the magic system and building its way up, with a few interesting things to say about religious devotion and collective projects. Oh, and there are vampires and gargoyles and an adorable chain-smoking young priest.

The premise is so cool and the execution so good, you might miss a few of the other sweet things Gladstone throws in just because well, I assume he's an awesome person and committed to social justice: 1) Gladstone's world doesn't adhere to our notions of race, and the cast of characters are diverse in color, including our main character Tara; 2) when speaking in generalities or about a person of unknown gender, both narrator and characters (with few exceptions) use "she" instead of the universal "he"; 3) in keeping with steampunk's usual Victorian aesthetic, characters ride in horse-and-carriages here, but without drivers. Instead, they just pay the horse (who was always doing most of the work). Lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Parts Dead.

January 6, 2015 – Started Reading