TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover's Reviews > The Sea of Tranquility

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
34338862
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: favorites, i-m-not-crying-you-re-crying
Read 3 times. Last read February 23, 2018 to February 26, 2018.

**STILL ON SALE!!!! | http://amzn.to/2vG2VU1 **


*The Most Amount of Stars I Can Give*

“I love you, Sunshine,” I tell her, before I lose my nerve. “And I don’t give a shit whether you want me to or not.”


description

This…This right here…This is the kind of story that makes you appreciate words. Makes you appreciate when nouns and verbs and adjectives are strung together to form these magical little sentences that touch your heart and you don't even know they're doing it until you're so sucked into the story you can't put it down and 4 hours have gone by and you haven't eaten or moved or even blinked because you couldn't possibly stop.

And then he kisses me. Tentatively at first, waiting for something, but there isn’t any need. I would kiss him forever. I will kiss him forever. I know it like I know my own name.


 photo g_zpswy5zva3c.gif

That's what this book did. It makes you feel it all. Every word. Every character. Every scene. Every heartbreak. Every SINGLE THING.

“You know I meant it. I am human. And male. And not remotely blind. Do you want me to say it again? You are distractingly, even-if-that-is-not-a-real-word, pretty. You are so pretty that I bullied Clay Whitaker into drawing me a picture of you so I could look at you when you aren’t around. You are so pretty that one of these days I’m going to lose a finger in my garage because I can’t concentrate with you so close to me. You are so pretty that I wish you weren’t so I wouldn’t want to hit every guy at school who looks at you, especially my best friend.” I stop to catch my breath. “More? I can keep going.” I can keep going, but even as I say all of this, I know it’s not quite true. She’s not just distractingly pretty. She’s the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen, and I want to touch her so badly right now that it’s almost impossible to keep my hands from reaching out and doing it.


description

It was captivating, heartbreaking, haunting, romantic, hypnotizing, ballsy, antsy, broken, and an all-time favorite of mine. The characters were probably the most realistic I have ever come across and broke my heart and put it back together again.

“I lied,” I say, even though I’m lying now. “I told him you were mine.”
“Just so you know,” she says, her smile fading as her eyes lock onto mine. “You didn’t lie.”


 photo h_zps5euagdtz.gif

“When you look at her what do you feel?... Joy, fear, frustration, longing, friendship, anger, need, despair, love, lust?"
"Yes."
"Yes, what?"
"All of it.” I reply, because I'm all in now whether I like it or not.


I was swept away by its power and there was not one rushed moment, not one wasted scene. The slow build of the story just contributed to such a powerful, amazing ending.
And it had quite possibly THE MOST AMAZING ENDING TO A STORY I HAVE EVER READ. The two words it ended on? The epitome of brilliance. Perfection.

“It’s not a good enough reason.”
“You are the only good reason.”


I wouldn’t have changed a single thing. ANYONE AND EVERYONE needs to pick up this book. I cannot stress enough how much I LOVED IT and what a beautiful tale about forgiveness, love, and second chances it was.



Find Me On:
InstagramFB PageFB BlogBlogTwitter
161 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Tranquility.
Sign In »

Quotes TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Liked

Katja Millay
“Wonderful. Last night's dinner, the charred remains of my dignity, and apparently, now, my undergarments, too. What else did I leave on Josh Bennett's bathroom floor?”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“His hands are miracles. I can watch them for hours, transforming wood into something it never dreamed of being.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Good morning, Sunshine.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“The world should be full of Josh Bennetts. But it’s not. I had the only one. And I threw him away.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“We're like mysteries to one another. Maybe if I can solve him and he can solve me, we can explain each other. Maybe that's what I need. Someone to explain me.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“He's kissing me. And when he does, part of me is lost. But it's the part that's twisted and mangled and wrong, and for just that moment, with his hands in my hair and his lips on my mouth, I can pretend that it never existed.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I don't know if I'm okay. It shouldn't be possible to be this close to another person. To let them crawl inside you.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“There are so many things that can break you if there's nothing to hold you together.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“And maybe I'm a liar and I do need it, because being kissed by Josh Bennet is kind of like being saved. It's a promise and a memory of the future and a book of better stories.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Emilia," he says, and when he does, it warms me to my soul. "Every day you save me.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“And as much as I'm telling her to stay here, I still want her to choose to come with me. To say fuck sanity and healing and closure. To say that I am the only thing she needs to be well and whole and alive. But we both know that's not true.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I know at that moment what he's given me and it isn't a chair. It's an invitation, a welcome, the knowledge that I am accepted here. He hasn't given me a place to sit. He's given me a place to belong.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“What? Sunshine fits you. It's bright and warm and happy. Just. Like. You.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Good Morning, Sunshine!" Josh F**king Bennett. By now, I'm pretty sure that if I were to find his birth certificate that is exactly what it would say.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Josh isn’t in love with me and I’m not in love with him.”
“Sell it to someone who’s buying, Sunshine. Have you seen the way he looks at you?” I’ve seen the way he looks at me but I don’t know what it means. “Like you’re a seventeenth-century, hand-carved table in mint condition.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Maybe one day you'll come back. Maybe you never will and that'll suck, but you can't keep doing this. The blame and the self-loathing and the bullshit. I can't watch that. It makes me hate you for hating yourself. I don't want to lose you. But I'd rather lose you if it means you'll be happy. I think if you come back with me today, you'll never be okay. And I'll never be okay if you aren't. I need to know that there's a way for people like us to end up okay. I need to know that there even is such a thing as okay, maybe even good, and it's out there and we just haven't found it yet. There's got to be a happier ending than this, here. There's got to be a better story. Because we deserve one. You deserve one. Even if it doesn't end with you coming back to me.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Call me Sunshine again, and I will murder you, cocksucker.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“There's a reverence in the way he kisses me that frightens me, because it's the most wonderful thing I've ever felt.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“He took the fucking piano, Sunshine. He didn't take everything. Look at your left hand. It's probably clenched in a fist right now, isn't it?"
I don't need to look. It is. He knows it.
"Now open it up and let it go."
And I do.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I don't really care what people say about me. I'm fine with lies and rumors. It's the truth I don't want being told.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I’m going to walk over to you,” I say, taking one step at a time in her direction like I’m talking down a jumper. “I’m going to put my arms around you and I’m going to hold you,” I pause before taking the last step, “and you’re going to let me.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I don't know how to say it - after all this time, I'm not even sure that I can - but I have to break her last rule, because if she knows nothing else, I need her to know this one thing.
'I love you, Sunshine,' I tell her, before I lose my nerve. 'And I don't give a shit whether you want me to or not.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Seeing Josh is my homecoming. I didn't tell him I was coming back. He doesn't say anything when he sees me, and neither do I, because the fact that I'm here is an answer. We just look at each other and speak in the silence like we always have and no one interrupts the conversation.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“When I look at her now, I think, for just one second, that God doesn't hate me so much after all.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“It’s about the dream of second chances,” he says finally. He hasn’t raised his eyes from the paper on his desk and I feel him looking at me without looking when he uses his grandfather’s words. “The narrator doesn’t respect the beauty of life and the world around her, so it crushes her into the ground and once she’s dead, she realizes everything she took for granted and didn’t see right in front of her while she was alive. She’s begging for another chance to live again so she can appreciate it this time.”
“And does she get that chance?” she asks Josh while I desperately focus on the poster of literary terms on the wall and wait for absolution. When it comes, I barely hear it.
“She does.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Just so you know,” I inform him, “one day, I’m going to get tired of sharing your affection with that coffee table and I’m going to make you choose.” “Just so you know,” he mimics me, “I would chop that table up and use it for firewood before I would ever choose anything over you.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“He's the kind of good-looking that transforms once self-respecting females into useless puddles of dumbass.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Maybe I just wanted the girl to look at me again. (Josh)”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I wished that my hand would work again," I tell him when he climbs in after me. it was my first wish and the only one that mattered.
"I wished my mother was here tonight, which is stupid, because it's an impossible wish." He shrugs and turns to me, drowning the smile that cracks me every time.
"It's not stupid to want to see her again."
"It wasn't so much that I wanted to see her again, " he says, looking at me with the depth of more than seventeen years in his eyes. "I wanted her to see you.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“It amazes me how people are so afraid of what can happen in the dark, but they don't give a second thought about their safety during the day; as if the sun offers some sort of ultimate protection from all the evil in the world. It doesn't... Daylight won't protect you from anything, Bad things happen all the time; they don't wait until after dinner". The Sea of Tranquillity”
Katja Millay , The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“there are no stories or secrets in the world worth holding onto more than his hand.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I’d trade my hand all over again to take back everything I did and hear him call me Sunshine.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“A few minutes later, she comes out of my bedroom wearing one of my t-shirts, and it might almost be worse than seeing her in no shirt at all.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“You know I meant it. I am human. And male. And not remotely blind. Do you want me to say it again? You are distractingly, even if-that-is-not-a-real-word pretty. You are so pretty that I bullied Clay Whitaker into drawing me a picture of you so I could look at you when you aren't around. You are so pretty that one of these days I'm going to lose a finger in my garage because I can't concentrate with you so close to me. You are so pretty that I wish you weren't so I wouldn't want to hit every guy at school who looks at you, especially my best friend.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility
tags: love

Katja Millay
“I can be your other hand when you need it.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“You are the only good reason.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I may not be allowed to love her, but that doesn't mean I'll let anyone hurt her.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“When you look at her what do you feel?... Joy, fear, frustration, longing, friendship, anger, need, despair, love, lust?"
"Yes."
"Yes, what?"
"All of it.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“You can't change the rules and think everyone else is just going to keep playing. I know what her hair smells like, but I can't get close enough to her to press my face into it. I know how soft her skin is on every part of her body, but I can't touch it. I knowwhat she tastes like, but I can't kiss her. I'm not allowed anymore; so why should I torture myself with being around her, just so I can say we're still friends?”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Not my fault that you’re distractingly pretty.”
I have to take a minute to confirm to the pissed off part of my brain that still works that, yes, in fact, I did just say that. And I don’t know if distractingly is even a word. If it is, it’s a stupid one. Like me.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Josh Bennett laughs, and for one minute, everything is right in the world.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“It’s an age old story … Boy meets girl. Boy asks girl to touch him inappropriately. Girl dazzles boy with her impressive knowledge and proper use of profanity.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“Congratulations, then. You wanted to be ruined? Well, you did yourself one better because you wrecked me, too, Sunshine. Now we’re both worth shit.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I say Sunshine and then she shatters.
All the pieces of all the girls go flying and I’m holding the one who’s left.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“And if my Sea od Tranquility were real, it would be this place, here, with him.
I don't say anything right away, because I just want one minute to look at him before I give him my last secret.
And then I tell him.
"Your garage.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“...but she's my tangent girl and I'll follow her if this is where she wants to go.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“He turns back to the fountain so his eyes aren't on me anymore, but I think he's still watching. "I'd ask you, you know. If I was allowed. I'd ask you a thousand times until you'd tell me. But you won't let me ask.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“I feel like grabbing my crotch and checking to see if my balls are still there because I think they may be in her pocket and I need to get them back.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility

Katja Millay
“About last night, I told Drew to keep his hands off you."
"Why would you do that?"
"Because everyone talks shit about you because of it. But its not my business, so I'm sorry."
"And he agreed?"
"Not without persuasion."
"What kind of methods do you have that would work on drew?"
"I lied. I told him you were mine."
(...)
"Just so you know, you didn't lie.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility


Reading Progress

January 6, 2015 – Shelved
January 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 7, 2015 – Started Reading
September 10, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 11, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: i-m-not-crying-you-re-crying
February 8, 2017 – Started Reading
February 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 23, 2018 – Started Reading
February 26, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)


Mindy Perfect review!!!!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Mindy wrote: "Perfect review!!!!"

thank you!!!!xxx


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review :-)


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Carla wrote: "Great review :-)"

thank you, Carla!! xx


message 5: by Dusti (new) - added it

Dusti Hanrahan Great review! I am super intrigued now!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Dusti wrote: "Great review! I am super intrigued now!"

OMG read it!!! READ IT! lol it was that good!


message 7: by Jazzy_D (new)

Jazzy_D Damn with a review like that how could I NOT read it. LOL My TBR is out of control thanks to you. LOL :)


ღFloღ the coffee addict Oh, I've had this on my TBR for ages. Really need to give it a try.
Most wonderfl review, hun!! xx


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Jazzy_D wrote: "Damn with a review like that how could I NOT read it. LOL My TBR is out of control thanks to you. LOL :)"

That makes me happy =) hahaha let me know what you think when you get to it!!!!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover ღFloღ the coffee addict wrote: "Oh, I've had this on my TBR for ages. Really need to give it a try.
Most wonderfl review, hun!! xx"


you'd love it Flo! It was written so amazingly well!


Brandi Lovely review, hun! :))


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Brandi wrote: "Lovely review, hun! :))"

thanks so much doll!


Amy | Foxy Blogs Terrific review. ❤️
I read this in 2012. The other day I bought the audio and plan to listen to it for my reread.
Omg. Those two words at the end - brilliant. ❤️


Katherine Owen Awesome review!!! I LOVED this book; I've reread it three times already! ♥ ♥ ♥


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Amy (Foxy) wrote: "Terrific review. ❤️
I read this in 2012. The other day I bought the audio and plan to listen to it for my reread.
Omg. Those two words at the end - brilliant. ❤️"


Just brilliant! I cried and I NEVER cry!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Katherine wrote: "Awesome review!!! I LOVED this book; I've reread it three times already! ♥ ♥ ♥"

thanks love!


Mina Great review <3


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Mina wrote: "Great review <3"

Thank you Mina!! xoxo


Es Summer Glad you loved it! :))
xx


Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  I need to read this book soon :)) Amazing review sweetie :))


message 21: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Terrific review, babe! ❤️


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Jen wrote: "Terrific review, babe! ❤️"

Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤ wrote: "I need to read this book soon :)) Amazing review sweetie :))"

Es Summer wrote: "Glad you loved it! :))
xx"


thank you ladies!!!❤❤❤


message 23: by Bianca (new) - added it

Bianca This book has been on my TBR for years. It's time to read it. Loved your review!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Bianca wrote: "This book has been on my TBR for years. It's time to read it. Loved your review!"

thank you Bianca!!

omggg yes read it! it's such an amazing book!


✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, babe! xx


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Arianna wrote: "Great review, babe! xx"

thank you Arianna!!! <3


bittersweetreads The ending of this book was just perfect perfect!! I was awestruck!!! Loved this book too sister!! Great review!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Sheryl wrote: "The ending of this book was just perfect perfect!! I was awestruck!!! Loved this book too sister!! Great review!"

thanks girl!!!! <3 and yes I agree! Probably the best ending ever.


Jamie ♡♡ submits to books ♡♡ Wonderful review hun!! Sounds really good!! :))


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Jamie ♡♡ submits to books ♡♡ wrote: "Wonderful review hun!! Sounds really good!! :))"

Ugh Jamie it's more than good. It's freaking phenomenal !


Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) I love being fully absorbed in a story! Fabulous review! It's been on my TBR for quite some time. ❤


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Angela (Reading Frenzy Book Blog) wrote: "I love being fully absorbed in a story! Fabulous review! It's been on my TBR for quite some time. ❤"

OMG ANGELA! YOU HAVE TO READ IT! I just know you'll love this one!


Rachel Reads Ravenously Fab review Steph!


Ashley Drew This has been on my TBR forever! I'm on a one-click spree right now. Lol. Great review!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Rachel Reads Ravenously (AKA The Wildcard Reader) wrote: "Fab review Steph!"

thank you Rachel!❤


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Ashley wrote: "This has been on my TBR forever! I'm on a one-click spree right now. Lol. Great review!"

AHHHHH too many people are saying they haven't read this lol ! It's a MUST READ!


Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog BEAUTIFUL review Babe! :)
xoxoxo


message 38: by TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover (last edited Jun 16, 2016 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Patty ❤️❤️ Belongs To ❤️Kellan❤️Jesse❤️Lautner❤️Miller❤️Garrett❤️Dean❤️Rafe❤️Liam❤️Beck❤️ and Archer❤️❤️ wrote: "BEAUTIFUL review Babe! :)
xoxoxo"


thank you!!!!! ❤️


message 39: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy Great review my lovely . I've heard so many good things about this one. One day...soon...ish :-) ♥


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Great review my lovely . I've heard so many good things about this one. One day...soon...ish :-) ♥"

Thank you Stacey! ♥ I'm re-reading it now I couldn't help myself LOL I hope you love it!


message 41: by Bibi (new) - rated it 1 star

Bibi Powerful review. Thanks Book Lover!


Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Lovely review, Steph ❤ Adding!


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Bibi wrote: "Powerful review. Thanks Book Lover!"

Thanks Bibi!! ❤


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Astrid - ☆Vanilla & Spice Books☆ wrote: "Lovely review, Steph ❤ Adding!"

YESSSSSSSSSSSS! You must tell me what you think when you read it!❤


Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ I don't often read YA but this book blew me away as well! Love your review, darling! xoxo


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "I don't often read YA but this book blew me away as well! Love your review, darling! xoxo"

Thank you dear! Sometimes YA is TOO YA. But this one was just perfect ;)


Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Okay you've sold me ;)


message 48: by TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover (last edited Oct 26, 2016 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things wrote: "Okay you've sold me ;)"

WOOOHOOO!! LOL I have no doubt you'll absolutely love it!


Dilek VT Yayyyy, I am so happy to see that someone else also loved it as much as I did... Wonderful wonderful review, sweetheart :)


TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover Dilek VT wrote: "Yayyyy, I am so happy to see that someone else also loved it as much as I did... Wonderful wonderful review, sweetheart :)"

yes I've read this book 3 times! So glad you loved it too =) xo


« previous 1
back to top