Dave's Reviews > The Great Zoo of China

The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2015

Oh dear.

I've been a huge fan of Matthew Reilly since I picked up his first book Contest many years ago. I absolutely loved his no-holds-barred, super-fast, super-lean writing style. His books have always been fantastic ultra-high concept rollercoasters where characters are thrown into dangerous situations then had more and more piled onto them until they reach breaking point, then have more and more piled on.

Alas, with this book, it feels like he's crossed over into a parody of himself. The high concept here is 'imagine Jurassic Park, with dragons'. And that's exactly what you get. There's nothing new - even some of the characters joke about the fact that it's Jurassic Park with Dragons.

I didn't care about any of the characters. The writing, usually so taut and whip-smart, is, in places, awful and like something a beginner novelist would write.

So disappointed. Here's hoping for a return to form and a more original novel next time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Zoo of China.

January 6, 2015 – Started Reading