Carla's Reviews > The Year I Met You

The Year I Met You by Cecelia Ahern

Jan 06, 2015

liked it

Jasmine has been fired and put on gardening leave for a year. A full year to wait to get another job, a full year to do nothing. Nothing that is except watch from her window the neighbor across from her and his downward spiral. Matt, the famous DJ. The one all those years ago she decided to hate. She watches he alcoholic spats, his wife and children leave, she watches until they meet.
It is during the seasons, throughout the year as Jasmine begins to find herself, even through her once detestful neighbor. This is not a 'normal' type of romance or chic lit. This is more the development of the main character, who has to go through stages, ups and downs, even judgements, understand and change the different dynamics she is in, and in some way Matt is the physical embodiment of her internal roller coaster. It is a love story of finding oneself, of growth.
At times I was surprised that Ms. Ahern was the author of something like this novel, normally her style is not like this, although you will find some of the humor and quirk in the pages, it is not the usual. It is good, worth the read, don't go in with preconceived notions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year I Met You.

January 6, 2015 – Started Reading