Ronnie Dauber's Reviews > A Day Out with Mom

A Day Out with Mom by Tom Kepler

Recommended for: everyone

"This was truly an amazing book to read; it was simply written and so easy to understand, and yet it was loaded with hidden lessons and advice about being old. Tom writes about the short and unexpected adventures of his mother that he experiences when he returns home after many years and discovers that the mannerisms and lifestyle that he once remembered were very different. Yet, the love and the memories and the respect for his parents carry him through what could have been a time of sorrow and reminisce.

He tells of his lengthy visit with his mother and the health issues of his father. Although it’s all very serious he is able to bring forward a unique sense of style and humor as he dialogues with his mother and receives a lot of love and concern mingled with wit and humor.

This book is short, but it touches all of the emotions as it brings us into the reality of the end of life for all of us. I had a feeling about what the last chapter would reveal as the story unwound, but I was able to accept it because of the love that he brought forth from his mother. Although it could be a challenge for many of us, Tom is able to talk about his parents in a very humble yet open manner as he teaches us all about the value of life and the importance of love in families.

I recommend this book to everyone from a teenager upwards because it’s a book that will get readers thinking about the love and care that their own parents will look for when they are old. Thank you, Tom, for your memories and for reminding us that when our parents get old they may seem uncaring, but it's then that they need our love the most because inside they are still the parents we have always known and loved.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Day Out with Mom.

December 19, 2014 – Started Reading