Cyn's Reviews > Up Country

Up Country by Nelson DeMille

Aug 08, 2010

This book was probably one of the most compelling representations of Vietnam I've ever been exposed to: the war, reflections on the war, and present-day - at least, when the main story takes place, in '97.

What I mean by that is that I developed a deeper understanding of the people, their tenacity, and various things that occurred during the war. I haven't changed my opinion that the Communist North should have been crushed like a bug (we could have done it, we just lacked the will - and the South Vietnamese citizens paid the price when we left).

DeMille's writing really put me in the situation and I felt like I was there, experiencing what was happening, right along with Paul Brennar. This was probably one of his deepest books yet - and that's saying a lot since I adore his other character so much more (John Corey).

The reason I took off a star was because of the length. I felt like it took the same amount of time to listen to it as the length of time in which the story takes place (two weeks). It really didn't take me *that* long, of course, but the writing style, the depth of description, and the plot were so involved that when it was over and done with I felt about as wiped out as Brennar's character did when the story came to a close.

On the flip side, if everything hadn't been as well developed as it was, I wouldn't have had such a rich listening experience. Once again, Scott Brick's narration was excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up Country.

Started Reading
August 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
August 8, 2010 – Shelved

message 1: by Tamro (new)

Tamro After watching Ken Burns' Vietnam I'm curious at how exactly the US could have crushed North Vietnam?

message 2: by Cyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyn By politicians not bungling it up and by not televising it so much. The U.S. has the military might to crush pretty much any country it wants. But it often seems to lack the capability of actually waging an effective war once it decide to actually go to war, especially in the past few decades.