Patrick's Reviews > My Life on the Swingset: Adventures in Swinging & Polyamory

My Life on the Swingset by Cooper S. Beckett

Jan 05, 2015

bookshelves: everything-you-were-afraid-to-ask

Sex books that address non-monogamy tend to be written by women or, a much smaller subset, by gay men. That's not a judgement, but it does mean that the perspective of heterosexual men tends to be under-represented, so this book fills a gap of sorts in the literature, even if Cooper identifies as Kinsey-scale 2 bisexual.

Kudos to Cooper for putting his neurotic self out there as an imperfect human example, and not in a dweeb-to-Charles-Atlas sort of way (which is kind of Daniel Stern's approach in Swingland, covering some of the same territory). My Life on the Swingset is a bit of a cross between Suzy Spencer's sex-exploration memoir (Secret Sex Lives) and Clarissa Thorne's more thematically arranged blog-post-best-of collection (The S&M Feminist).

While My Life on the Swingset is more polished than the S&M feminist, there's sometimes a bit of mental whiplash from a lack of transition between some chapters (kind of like how reading a collection of short stories straight through is harder than reading a novel straight through).

As a memoir, it's a bit more problematic, in that the Wife with whom he first starts swinging with quickly disappears from the narrative, only to re-appear as (primary) "partner" about two-thirds of the book in (and some years) later; suggesting that he more seriously date other women just before their divorce is announced in the next chapter [Didja see that one coming? {Only surprised it didn't happen sooner}].

Those aside, this is a thought-provoking book well-worth reading, because we all tend to be neurotic and questioning when it comes to the socially transgressive acts of sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life on the Swingset.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved