Jenn's Reviews > Atop an Underwood: Early Stories and Other Writings

Atop an Underwood by Jack Kerouac

F 50x66

liked it

I struggled through this book, but I am not saying that as a negative. This was a collection of early Kerouac leading to his meeting Ginsberg and Burroughs and his ultimate "On the Road" fame. Some of it was meaningless and rambling to me. Some of it was writing genius and words that wove stories and images in my mind that haunted me for days. As I have said in other Kerouac reviews, he is one of my all time favorites and I genuinely enjoy learning more about him. I learned so much from reading this and have found other authors I know want to know better. In summary, I think this is a realistic view of what you would find out of any author's work: a hodgepodge of good and bad that glint with genius, beauty and eventual greatness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atop an Underwood.

January 5, 2015 – Started Reading
January 5, 2015 – Shelved
January 21, 2015 –
February 1, 2015 –
page 50
20.08% "Still on page 50 and struggling. I apparently prefer a polished, mature and slightly more traveled Kerouac than youthful Kerouac. I'm ok with this revelation but always get frustrated when I can't finish a book, whatever the reason."
February 1, 2015 –
February 3, 2015 –
page 99
39.76% "It's getting better. I have several pages folded over and need to get the highlighter out. Kerouac has always been something to study for me, something to pull every delicious morsel of word smithing from. I need a highlighter...."
February 15, 2015 –
page 113
February 24, 2015 –
page 170
68.27% ""Art is a readjustment of perception, from physical actuality to a perception expressed by the artist." "I am making a drive for slower and finer reading. Try it. You will find that it pays more, fills you with respect for the world of letters..." I love you Jack Kerouac."
February 26, 2015 –