Lindsay's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Aug 08, 2010

bookshelves: cover-lust, books-i-own

The Chemical Garden by Lauren Destefano

To be honest, I thought this book would be a lot better but sadly, I think I got distracted by all the great talk about this book. I mean, the cover is gorgeous, the plot is amazing, and when I got the chance to get my hands on the arc, I took it. But unfortunately, because I set my expectations so high with this debut, I think the impact fell flat for me. I did enjoy the book though, just not as much as I thought.

I really did like Rhine, Jenna, and even Linden. I felt as if each widely different personality was relatable, although I wish Gabriel's personality would've been expanded on. I really strongly disliked Cecilia but I understand the illusion she lived in. In fact, I loved the symbolism DeStefano had throughout the novel.

Overall, I did enjoy this book and I can't wait for the sequel but I'm not gonna give into the hype and try to create unrealistic expectations. Instead, I'll enjoy the book for what it is and I'm really anticipating the continuation of Rhine's journey back home.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

August 8, 2010 – Shelved