C.'s Reviews > Mystery Of The Piper's Ghost

Mystery Of The Piper's Ghost by Zillah K. MacDonald

bookshelves: riedel-titles-2015

Mystery Of The Piper’s Ghost”, by Zillah K. MacDonald, is one of those debunking stories from whom I dispute use of a ghost-sounding title. It’s from 1954, while false advertising was en vogue. We who choose a ghostly title WANT ghostly content. However this is an exceptional and highly original adventure. One merely overlooks the first chapter or so, in the tune of a bygone era. They are only to establish that Michael seeks to fit in with teenagers. One is a bully and coerces inappropriate activity. Michael has a wonderful single Mother whom he adores. The coercion is uncomfortable but one needn’t stick with this old ditty long, before we shift into a fast gear.

There are unsavoury businessmen, trying to urge the Nova Scotia villagers of Portopeake to invest in a mine they know is empty. Michael and some good friends of his own age witness suspicious things, including what looks like a phantom water creature. There is also friendship forged with a hermit, away from whom most parents have steered their youngsters. He is so bizarre, anyone would find him enthralling, including me! A flurry of events with him and at the sinister lagoons are exciting, whether it is otherworldly or not.

Nothing parallels the sequence, featuring many of Michael’s friends; involved in a life and death predicament underground. As old-fashioned and mundane as the front cover might appear: it spoils nothing to assure you, won’t believe the extraordinary action and quick-thinking race against time that will unfold. My favourite aspect is how the parents brainstorm as they wait, striving to anticipate what help their children will need! Most novels relegate them as extraneous figures, kept out of the picture. The adventure truly becomes sensational. A sideline about Michael’s beginnings raises a bar that is already high.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mystery Of The Piper's Ghost.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: riedel-titles-2015
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 10, 2015 – Started Reading
February 10, 2015 –
page 16
10.26% "I discovered this gem at my thrift store, doubly pleased Zillah K. MacDonald is Canadian. The one outdated trend I dislike seeing, is refering to a relative as 'foster' etc, if they aren't blood. Ma Lovey raised Michael since 2 1/2 months old and is all the Mother and whole family he knows. A family is the personal history and the love. Regardless, her 1954 adventure is excellent and special!"
February 10, 2015 –