Jessica's Reviews > The Trouble with Bree

The Trouble with Bree by Kristen Strassel

Jan 05, 2015

Bree Farrell is hell bent on making her childrens' lives and her own better. With a string of bad ex-boyfriends behind her, her first step is to swear off men. Second, is to enroll in online college courses. Well, she get's the second step down, but the first runs into a little trouble when she meets the damn near irresistible Josh Maxwell.

Josh has just gotten a new job as the coordinator of a preschool for underprivileged kids. The school took a chance on him, hiring him without really any experience, so the last thing he needs is to get involved with a student's mother. But sometimes the risk is worth it.

I loved Bree and Josh's relationship. What I loved about this novella and their relationship was that it didn't feel like a soap opera. Bree nor Josh are the typical leads you'd ordinarily find in romance novels. They're real people and their relationship felt very real and organic to me. This is what a real relationship looks like in the real world. And I loved that quality to the story.

And as always with Strassel's work, the writing flowed and the dialog was well done. Oh, and if any of you happen to be fans of her Night Songs Collection series there's a little nod in there to the vamps in Vegas. I'm so glad she did that. I love it when an author stays in their own world and references it in other seemingly unrelated series. It's like watching a movie/reading a book and hearing someone say the name of it.

I loved everything about The Trouble With Bree, except one thing. I wish Bree had gotten her own story. I think she had more than enough material to have warranted a full length novel. This novella just felt like an aside to Secondhand Heart. I guess all novellas that are part of a series kind of are asides, but they usually benefit from leaning on the main stories. This time I feel like it limited it. That being said, fair warning, the timeline of this novella coincides with Secondhand Heart's timeline (the first in The Spotlight series). It definitely spoils the events in Secondhand Heart, so if you're the type of person who likes to read a novella from a series before they decide if they want to dive into it, you're probably not going to want to do that with this one.

4 out of 5 stars to The Trouble With Bree. Bring on the next Spotlight novel, Strassel. I'm ready.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble with Bree.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved