Emily's Reviews > The Royal We

The Royal We by Heather Cocks

bookshelves: ya-fiction, arc, favorites-2015, brit-lit

Edit 10/19: GUYS CBS FILMS HAS OPTIONED THE BOOK!!! THR reports that it may star Mae Whitman of Arrested Development, which I'm pretty "meh" about (har de har), but I am willing to move past that because THIS COULD BE A MOVIE!!!!! AHHHH!!!!

THIS BOOK IS GREAT. The premise has been done many times: American girl goes abroad to Oxford, where she meets and falls in love with the heir to the British throne. But this book captures almost eight years of their relationship, and you really get to know Nick, Bex, and their funny, charming group of friends. It is a fantastic romance that you will not want to put down.

The real tension in this story isn't the will-they-won't-they, but will-they-can-they?, which is a change for the better. In fact, I was so invested in the relationship that at one point I did the unthinkable and skipped ahead to see what was going to happen next (IT'S ALL TOO STRESSFUL), which I never do. So, score one for you, Fug Girls.

The inside look at the royal life is one of the main attractions of the novel, and the Fug Girls have spent years researching this book in very serious ways, mostly by covering The Royal Ascot and other occasions where one would wear a fascinator. You'll also get some great settings, like Windsor and Buckingham Palace. And there are endless inside Fug Girl jokes (the names of Freddie’s revolving girlfriends made me do spit takes by the end of the book), as well as a TV series that I’m mad isn’t real (Devour forever!!).

I was so obsessed with this book while I was reading it - and so drawn into the story - that I thought for sure it would be 5 stars. Unfortunately, I thought the ending was uneven, which is why I've dropped it to 4. Spoilers abound ahead!

(view spoiler)

And my last complaint is that this is so obviously William and Harry that it's a little jarring. I love the heir and the spare - and I love a playboy prince - but the sandy-haired Nick and the ginger gigolo Freddie are a little too close to reality. I wonder how Kate feels about being turned into the American heir of the Coucherator empire?

Regardless, this book is so much fun - and so witty! - that you should go get it immediately. I am pressing it on all of my SF friends and will be checking in on them every 20 minutes via text until they finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Royal We.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved
January 23, 2015 – Started Reading
January 23, 2015 –
page 64
14.1% "DAY NICK IS DEAD. LONG LIVE NIGHT NICK"
January 25, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Analise (new)

Analise Smith-Hinkley Should I read??

Emily YES! I want everyone to read this so we can discuss it at length, over cocktails, while looking at pictures of fascinators

message 3: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth crack

Nichole Treadway sounds like a good vacation read

Riah I WILL DEBRIEF WITH YOU ALL DAY EVERYDAY

Emily COME BACK TO THIS COUNTRY SO WE CAN WATCH THE ROYALS

Jessica I just deleted 10 episodes of The Royals from my DVR without watching them. Mistake???

Emily Jessica wrote: "I just deleted 10 episodes of The Royals from my DVR without watching them. Mistake???"

YES. I mean, I haven't seen the show, and I've heard it's bad ... but that sounds like the perfect wine + cheese night activity.

Melissa Ramirez No offense intended, but how can you possibly be "meh" when it comes to Mae Whitman? (Unless of course that was a joke; in which case, I'm sorry, and I understand the word play.)

Bridget Her? (this is for all the Arrested Development fans out there)

message 11: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Walters Thanks... I saw this today as an audible daily special. Or... the library has an ebook copy available.
💕