C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2015, epic-fantasy, read-2015, young-adult, retelling, foodie-fiction

HELLO. I AM NOT OKAY. THIS BOOK IS A BILLION PERCENT INCREDIBLE AND AJKLFDSAQTQEQQQQQJKLQ. Words?! WHAT WORDS. I'm just absolutely dancing from the proverbial rooftops that I fell in love with this book. I've had such a slack year for reading. All my highly anticipated reads have splattered like mayonnaise on the wall. But this?! They hype is completely justified. It's beautiful and visual and delicious (seriously, so much delicious food) and the characters were absolute perfection. I cannot right now. I CANNOT. I AM JUST SO HAPPY I LOVED IT SO MUCH.

Ahem.

Okay, but let's scroll backwards a little and let me tell you the story of how I have history with this story. When I was 12 I was obsessed with Shadow Spinner. It was the book of my LIFE. I reread it nine trillion times and pledge to myself I would write a retelling of Shahrazad one day. THEN I SAW THIS BOOK WAS COMING OUT. I was half disappointed (dang, I missed my opportunity) and half elated because I GET TO RELIVE MY CHILDHOOD LOVE. I'm so grateful The Wrath and the Dawn really stuck to the original story and embellished it beautiful and in a more YA way (Shadow Spinner is, obviously, a children's book). I had mega high expectations: AND I WAS NOT LET DOWN.

So it's a fantasy, but with a pinch of magic and a lot of Persian culture. I love this. I ADORE THIS. I kind of wished it had been an historical fantasy? But the magic was very subtle and while it impacted the finale, it wasn't like "OH SUDDENLY WE CAN MAGIC GENIES OUT OF LAMPS." Although there was hints of a magic carpet?! I really hope they do something fantastic with that. But omg, the food! THE FOOD. I love books that use food to its full glory. It slips in culture and it's freaking delicious to read about. I nearly died of starvation just reading the foodie descriptions. Basically this book gets a whole extra star for FOOD.
...setting plates of food in front of each guest -- aromatic rice with fresh dill and split fava beans, lamb simmered in sauce of turmeric and caramelized onions, skewers of chicken and roasted tomatoes, fresh vegetables garnished with mint and chopped parsley, olives marinated in fine oil, lavash bread with rounds of goat cheese and seemingly endless sweet preserves...(pg 252)

Excuse me while I die. This is beautiful. This is art. Yum.

And of course the rest of the description was JUST as perfect as this. Okay, just all of the writing was beautiful and brilliant. It was sharp, edgy writing. Every word MATTERED. And the sentences were short and biting. When it used detailed description, it went for words that packed a punch. And the outfits?! AFJDKL THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL. It's also narrated by a LOT of people. I loved this. I love fantasy that comes from more than one POV. The most important one, obviously, is Shahrzad's. But we get to see from Khalid (the monster boy-king) from Jalal (his cousin) and from Tariq (the childhood sweetheart) and even the father (who possibly is insane, jury's out). I liked how this rounded out the story SO MUCH.

And a quick peek at the characters?! Because I am in love with them. IN LOVE. I SHIP MY SHIP SO HARD I MIGHT EXPLODE. *ships aggressively*
+ Shahrzad: She was so small and sassy and had a big mouth and a sharp wit. I LOVED HER. She reminded me of Celaena Sardothien from Throne of Glass but with less viciousness. Shahrzad could be sweet...if she wanted to. BUT HER SPUNK. She was a billion percent awesome.
+ Khalid: Ah, the monster-boy-king. So, since he kills a girl every night, he's got to be EVIL, right?!! WELL. I figured there'd be more to that story than meets the eye. I figured there'd be a horrifying truth that made it okay. And I was basically right. So I got on Khalid's side pretty fast...because omg, he's adorable. He's angry and violent BUT ADORABLE. He's unwanted and he's been abused. (Hello, his father (view spoiler) in front of 6-year-old Khalid THAT IS KINDA DAMAGING.) I ship him and Shahrzad so so hard I possibly might explode.
+ Jalal: He's Khalid's cousin and next commander-of-the-guard. He was sort of smooth and slick and sassy, and his relationship with Khalid was "I WANNA BE FRIENDS" while Khalid is like "GET AWAY FROM ME I AM A MEANIE". So they were adorable. Everything is adorable, dammit.
+ Depsina: OMG I LOVE HER MORE THAN WORDS CAN SAY. She's the handmaiden, and so sassy. She's also plump and downright gorgeous and can do her makeup like a dream and has a mega crush on Jalal. Qjfadsklqouqqqq I love her. She gives Shahrzad so. much. lip. It's amazing and their friendship is one of my favourite things.
+ Tariq: UGH I HATE TARIQ. I was terrified when he was introduced and started his campaign to get Shahrzad back because I HATE LOVE TRIANGLES WITH A FIERY PASSION. They are hellish. So there is sort of a triangle, but Shahrzad doesn't spend the entire book trying to choose between two boys, thank the bookish heavens. But Tariq was brash and violent and didn't ever LISTEN. he didn't even care what Shahrzad wanted, just that he wanted her. That ain't love. But I love how the book calls him out on this:
"Why do you love her?"
"Because --" Tariq rubbed at the back of his neck. "All of my most cherished memories are of her. I've suffered alongside her. And...we've laughed at nothing together."
Omar's hand fell from Tariq's shoulder. "A shared history does not entitle you to a future, my friend."

Bless the ground Omar stands on. HE IS A WISE MORTAL.
Ahem.

OH OH HOW COULD I FORGET TO TALK ABOUT THE STORY ASPECT?!! As you (might) know, the original tale of Shahrazad is about a girl who is married to a Sultan who slays his bride every night. But Shahrazad tells a story and it lasts past the dawn and then she cuts off, and, in order to hear the rest, the sultan has to let her life. OKAY SO THE WRATH AND THE DAWN TOTALLY DID THIS YAY!. But possibly my only squinty-ness is because there isn't that much emphasis on the stories. It's in the first 50% of the book, and then basically extinct in the last. This saddens me. But there WERE stories, so I won't complain too much.

And the romance?! IT WAS PERFECT. I HAVE EXACTLY ZERO COMPLAINTS BECAUSE IT'S GORGEOUS AND BEAUTIFUL. AND I SHIP IT SO HARD I CAN ONLY SHRIEK. It was a slow attraction and it was so sweet, and Khalid was just bursting with this absolutely incredible soliloquies at the end. Omg. There goes my heart.

Basically it is the most perfect book in the universe. It was everything I wanted. The writing was DELICIOUS. And the characters all stole my heart and I would read nine thousand books about them. Persian fantasies have such a special place in my heart. AND THEN THERE WAS ALL THAT GOOD FOOD. That helped. It did, I won't lie. So if you're torn about trying this: jUST READ IT. I'M GONNA JUST GO WAIL BECAUSE THE ENDING WAS SO HEART RENDING AND I HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE YEAR FOR BOOK 2. *hyperventilates*

***

Khalid had to answer for such vile deeds. Such rampant deaths.
Even if he was her air.
Even if she loved him beyond words.

One hundred lives for the one you took. One life to one dawn. Should you fail but a single morn, I will take from you your dreams. I shall take from you your city. And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrath and the Dawn.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 10, 2015 – Started Reading
July 10, 2015 –
page 115
29.64% "THIS BOOK IS SUFFOCATINGLY GOOD. AAFSDQWRQEEQQQQQ"
July 11, 2015 –
page 206
53.09% "I didn't think this book could get any better BUT THEN THEY STARTED DESCRIBING ALL THE FOOD.\n I'm a goner.\n Five stars and all the love blah blah etc. \n Omg HUNGRY."
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: retelling
July 12, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: foodie-fiction

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Holly This book. THIS BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK. asdfjkl; I love it so much. And omg the ship. The shiiiiiiiiiiiiiip. I HAVE NEVER SHIPPED A SHIP SO HARD. Khalid and Shazi were so perfect together, and I need more of them. So where is my sequel, damn it?!

message 2: by Ella (new) - added it

Ella Oh my Gosh, Cait, I think I'm going to have to read this because I just love your review :) This sounds amazing.

message 3: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec STOP MAKING ME WANT THIS EVEN MORE

Emily Mead Okay so this is the only review of The Wrath and the Dawn that has convinced me. ALL HAIL CAIT.

Olivia I agree with EVERYTHING you said! This book was so incredible, and when it came time to review it I had a hard time explaining what exactly made it so incredible. Because EVERYTHING about it was perfect. Great review!

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Clifton What is the swearing/romance like? It sounds like a really cool book!

C.G. Drews @Holly: ME TOOOOO ME TOOOOO. OMG. LET ME BOARD THIS SHIP AND SHIP IT UNTIL I CAN SHIP NO MORE. *falls on the ground crying*
*tosses Tariq into the middle of the atlantic and runs over him*
*ships Khalid and Shazi*

@Ella: Reeeeeead iiiiiiiiiiiiit.

@Bec: YOU DON'T WANT IT, BEC. YOU NEED IT LIKE YOU NEED AIR. TRUST ME.

@Emily: YES HAIL ME. THEN GO READ IT, DARN IT BECAUSE I'M SUFFOCATING AND I NEED TO TALK TO EVERYONE ABOUT HOW GOOD IT IS.

C.G. Drews @Olivia: I knoooow, right?! It's so much easier to review books one hates because I can list all the suckiness. But for books I love?! I'm like "HELLO IT'S JUST PERFECT. GO READ IT." XD

@Emma: Ah, the romance is pretty intense. It's not like described, but they do have sex. Pretty much no swearing except for the occasional "bastard".

message 9: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Rawls After reading your review, I'm convinced I need to read this book! I loved the original tale when I was young, and I'm glad to hear that this book is an excellent YA version of it and much more. :)

Kirstyn I agree with your review 1000%!!!

message 11: by Tati (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tati That endiiiiiiiing! And that snippet from the next book? That had me desperate for the next book as well... (view spoiler)

It was one of the best books I've read so far this year, one out of only four to get 5 stars from this year

Books are TARDIS Loved your review and I basically agree with every single thing you've said :)

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Alice: I honestly don't remember much swearing at all (if any!) but I'm not 100% sure. Just sort of sure. :P

message 14: by Iana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Iana Love your review! Pretty much sums up all the FEELS I had when I was reading it. Also I hate Tariq. Can we like bury him in the sand dunes together? BWAHAHAHA. XD

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Iana: yES LET'S BURY HIM. XDXD

message 16: by Amare (Suntail) (new)

Amare (Suntail) @cait grace my name is Caitlin!

message 17: by kaufmasks (new)

kaufmasks sup did u send me a friend request i accepted

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Snowtuft: Hello person who I share a name with. :D

Maggie YES!! this review had everything i was looking for. this book tore my soul. No words to explain how i felt after reading it. Im so glad you felt the same! this book is utter perfection. and khalid? damnnnnnn

message 20: by Amare (Suntail) (new)

Amare (Suntail) @cait grace XD :p ;p

message 21: by Vlora (new) - added it

Vlora Cait, this is so uncool. Why did you have to choose that quote. I'm- no, I'm not even hungry, I just really NEED to have that Persian rice.

I loved the quotes, but I hated Caelena (or however you spell her name, I can't even be bothered to scroll up to find out, because I just cared so little about her) and I dislike too many POVs, BUT WHO AM I KIDDING YOU HAD ME AT CARAMELIZED ONIONS. Yeah, this is going on the to-read list.

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Vlora: Celaena?! Wrong book. XD This is Shahrzad.

message 23: by Vlora (new) - added it

Vlora What the fuck hahaha I have no idea what happened here. Maybe I was typing a comment in another tab and switched between the two or something!??? It was probably 4 am. :'D Anyways, what I meant to say was this book sounds delicious (literally) and even though I'm not a fan of lots of different POVs I will be reading it because it sounds awesome.

message 24: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Vlora: Haha, NO WORRIES. XD

Shaz OMG OMG OMG. I LOVE THIS REVIEW SO MUCH. AND THIS BOOKS IS ASFGHJKL. ALL THE CAP LOCKS BC THIS BOOK OMG. I TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT SHAHRZAD AND KHALID AND JALAL AND UGH TARIQ IS A BIG NO NO FROM ME.

P.S. Sorry about the cap locks but I love this books so hard. SO HARD. Awesome review, cannot wait for The Rose and The Dagger which btw has a stunning. Praise the Lord for these covers.

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Shazina: NEVER APOLOGISE FOR CAPS LOCK AROUND HERE! ;D IT IS A BOOK SO WORTHY OF CAPS LOCK AND FANGIRLING ADFJKALD I LOVE! I LOVE IT! *calms self slightly* The Rose and the Dagger cannot come SOON ENOUGH. XD

Shaz @Cait Grace: SO WORTHY!! ITS CRAZY HOW WORTHY THIS BOOK IS. NO NEED TO CALM YOURSELF, CAIT BC THIS BOOK DESERVES IT ALL. I'm so giddy with excitement for TRATD it's unbelievable. *deep breath* we got this. WE GOT THIS.

message 28: by Elm (new) - added it

Elm GODDAMNIT I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE NOW

message 29: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Elm: YOU DO.

Kyra (Book Allure) I AM FREAKING OUT BECAUSE YOU LOVE THIS BOOK AS MUCH AS I DO!!!! I love Khalid so much huhu

Shelley Lawrence I absolutely adored this book also, but have to say that I'm confused by the ending. ???

message 32: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Bronson I really did LOVE this book!!! I thought the characters and story plot were very well written. And it was beautiful!! I hope the next book will be just as good!

Emilia Grant I wasn't sure about this at first because of all the mixed reviews, but I might actually read it now. I am a bit worried about the insta-love, though.