Michelle Athy's Reviews > The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality * Next Generation Indie Book Awards Winner in LGBT *: An Introduction to Asexuality * Next ... Indie Book Awards Winner in LGBT *

The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker

bookshelves: 2018-books

So, long story short, I've wanted to read this book for awhile because like the majority of the world, I didn't really know anything about asexuality. For more personal reasons, I had a hefty suspicion that I probably slotted in somewhere on the asexual spectrum. And for more immediate reasons, I have a character I'll be writing soon who is asexual, so I figured I ought to read this introductory text before I developed her character further.

On all three of the above points, this book helped, resonated, and clarified, which is what the book is supposed to do, so that was good. I learned a lot in The Invisible Orientation. I found the resources and further suggestions for connections and reading to be a great touch and I liked the different angles Decker covers--there were chapters in there for partners of asexuals or for people who might be reading because someone they're close to might be asexual. The writing itself did get repetitive but that's to be expected when covering a broad topic in a reasonable amount of space from so many perspectives and angles.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Orientation.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved