Barb (Boxermommyreads)'s Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jan 05, 2015

bookshelves: 2015
Read 2 times. Last read January 5, 2015 to January 12, 2015.

Ok, this review and this rating is about as difficult as the relationship between Nick and Amy. Let me say I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars and finally settled with 4 for a few reasons. The book is definitely dark and twisted, which I almost always enjoy. In addition, Flynn must have an incredible, or maybe somewhat scary, mind to come up with this hot mess of a couple. And finally, it was very well written and engaging.

Now for some of the negatives. I didn't like any of the characters except Go, Nick's twin, who clearly got the brains, wit and wisdom of that twin relationship. She seemed to be the one with common sense and the guts to say what others were thinking. I find it amazing that I liked a book so well when I wasn't really invested in any of the characters. I even found Amy's parents annoying and flawed. Also, even with trying to avoid spoilers, which I did for the most part, I knew there was some big twist in the book and I don't think it was that hard to figure out. Now, I didn't expect the ending. It was rather shocking, but as I sit her and type, I can't figure out why I found such stupidity shocking.

The people in this book are in need of a whole lot of therapy. I commented about a hundred pages in that I didn't know where Amy went, but wished she had taken Nick...I stand by that opinion. All in all, I am somewhat surprised that I gave this 4 stars, but I think I am comfortable with that decision. I will read more of Flynn's works, just not right away.

I GAVE THIS BOOK 4/5??? WHAT WAS I ON? I hated this book! SO yep, I'm modifying my rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

January 5, 2015 – Started Reading
January 5, 2015 – Shelved
January 6, 2015 –
page 88
January 8, 2015 –
page 162
38.39% "OK...not hating this but at this point in the book, I really don't care that Amy is GONE. Wondering why she couldn't have taken Nick with her."
January 9, 2015 –
page 221
52.37% "So I hope Go isn't in on all this crazy "where is Amy" crap because right now, she is the only character I like."
January 12, 2015 –
page 380
90.05% "Plan on finishing tonight. Can't wait to see what happens."
January 12, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 13, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
May 8, 2018 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)