Lee's Reviews > Await Your Reply

Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon

3362019
Aug 07, 2010

Although the cover image/title make this book appear at first glance to be a whimsical work of literary fiction, the novel is actually a gripping, and in some places rather dark, mystery that explores the complex nature of identity. Throughout the past year I have heard numerous rave reviews and many comments stating that this is hands down the best book of 2009, therefore, I was prepared for a disappointment. However, I may very well be in agreement that this was the best book written in 2009 (if not, it is certainly a top five nominee in my list). By exploring 3 seemingly disparate stories, Chaon manages to captivate the reader and then bring their literary world collapsing in on itself when the connectedness of the tales reveals itself. To me it feels like the movies The Usual Suspects, Memento, Requiem for a Dream, and Crash all rolled into one grand read. Furthermore, I want to stress that it is not solely a light mystery (although those books can be quite enjoyable, and are some of my favorite books), but truly poses some deep questions regarding self, identity, and worth. Assuredly this book will be one worth rereading and recommending to most every literary loving individual I know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Await Your Reply.