☼♄Jülie 's Reviews > The Mint Lawn

The Mint Lawn by Gillian Mears

20814018

liked it
bookshelves: aussie-author, aussie-fiction, awards, own-book, aww2016-bingo-challenge

Although the writing here is very good, and the author's attention to detail noteworthy, I found this story was a bit too unrelentingly intense to be valued in any particular sense.
The air of desolation throughout doesn't let up and [for me] started to become oppressive by the middle to end of the book...it felt too uncomfortably like eavesdropping on a story I didn't want to hear, but now I'd heard it I couldn't "unhear" it, and had to keep listening.
Many parts of it made me cringe, and many parts were just totally off-putting.

Gillian Mears' graphic observations of just about everything made this an often uncomfortable and sometimes intensely burdensome read.
Her acute attention to the detail in every observation gives the reader a clear sense of the picture being drawn, and an often disquieting invitation into the dark and even intimate recesses of the human mind.

This is my first book by this author and I can't say that I liked it that much, though I do see why her writing is held with such esteem.
I will read more of her work though, and in fact have two more books waiting, because I don't want to gauge my view of her writing on this one book.

3★s

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mint Lawn.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved
April 23, 2016 –
page 50
April 28, 2016 –
page 275
92.28% "Oh this has become a bit laborious! Too much oppressive-ness :["
April 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

☼♄Jülie  Only 298 pages but this has very small print, so it is taking a bit longer.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda I find I'm unable to read very small print now Jools - the kindle is good :)

message 3: by ☼♄Jülie  (last edited Apr 28, 2016 11:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☼♄Jülie  Brenda wrote: "I find I'm unable to read very small print now Jools - the kindle is good :)"

It probably equals 400+ pages in decent sized font Brenda! Lol...I have good reading glasses ;)

☼♄Jülie  Just saw it has 420 pages on a later paperback edition :/

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Oh my goodness! I have one I own which I picked up to read recently - the writing is minuscule and there are 394 pages! It's brand new but I won't be reading it!!! I also have good reading glasses - but would need a magnifying glass as well!

☼♄Jülie  Brenda wrote: "Oh my goodness! I have one I own which I picked up to read recently - the writing is minuscule and there are 394 pages! It's brand new but I won't be reading it!!! I also have good reading glasses ..."

Yikes!! I don't mind at all if it is something I like but if it gets too much like hard work I get a bit upset because I always like to finish what I start..regardless...and that can make it tedious.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda You're right - but I won't even be able to start!!! Another of the same book has 639 pages! So they've almost halved the page count by shrinking the font!

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Good on you Jools for finishing this and planning to read more by this author. Hope the next book is not as oppressive or as painstakingly detailed!

☼♄Jülie  Carolyn wrote: "Good on you Jools for finishing this and planning to read more by this author. Hope the next book is not as oppressive or as painstakingly detailed!"

Lol me too! ;)

message 10: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I know what you mean when a book is so intense for such a long time...I start to get very anxious. I appreciate your honest and excellent review <3

☼♄Jülie  Thanks Deanna, it was a very long book to be that full on :)