Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)'s Reviews > Foundation of Love

Foundation of Love by Wendi Sotis

2073558

bookshelves: pride-and-prejudice

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern-day Adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, Fantasy

TIME FRAME: Modern-day over the course of 3-4 years

MAIN CHARACTERS: Elizabeth Bennett, William Darcy, Richard Fitzwilliam, Jane Bennett, Georgiana Darcy, George Wickham, Anne de Bourgh, Charles Bingley, Dan King

SYNOPSIS: Strange things happen when Elizabeth finds a 200-year-old letter addressed to her from a possible ancestor who bears the same name as her. At random and unpredictable times images that foretell the future are mysteriously being sent to her phone. Not readily believing in magic and gypsy blessings, Elizabeth tries to rationalize the images as some sort of prank and searches for a reasonable explanation. But when the image of one of her roommates in trouble proves true, she then realizes the gypsy magic and blessing is very real…

WHAT I LOVED:

- Blueprints, Hardhats, and Construction Sites: Lizzy is an architect and Darcy owns a construction company! I really loved seeing a story take place in the construction and building field. It was a fresh and interesting experience. Seeing Darcy, Elizabeth, the Bennetts, and the Gardiners brought together through business added a unique element to the story. I also liked how so many characters were involved with construction projects and worked in the construction field.

- In Love, But Not Together: I’m not a fan of insta-love or when Darcy and Elizabeth come together without any obstacles (I like me some turmoil and conflict!) I loved how Ms. Sotis prevented Darcy and Elizabeth from coming together too quickly and easily in this tale. Even though Darcy stops trying to conquer his objections early on, he can’t freely pursue Elizabeth. She signed a company policy that does not allow her to become romantically involved with any clients. Not wanting Elizabeth to be removed from the project or jeopardize her career, Darcy tries to suppress his feelings and give no hint of them to Elizabeth…(let’s see how well that works!)

- Gypsy Magic: The gypsy magic and Wendi Sotis’s excellent story-telling skills had me spellbound! I found myself completely entranced and very unwilling to put Foundation of Love down. I completely bought into the magic and fantasy elements of the story and did not find myself questioning a thing.

- A Link to the Past: Elizabeth’s experience with the prophetic images is similar to an experience her ancestor Elizabeth Bennet had 200 years ago in The Gypsy Blessing. I appreciated how Wendi Sotis weaved together the present and past in this tale. She explains the past incidents so well that you don’t need to have read The Gypsy Blessing first, but you may want to. (I know I want to!)

- Dan King: An original character who is a childhood friend of Elizabeth’s. I enjoyed this character and how his pursuit of Elizabeth created some palpable tension and drama! Poor Darcy, he can’t act on his feelings and can only stand their and watch another man pursue his love!

WHAT I WASN’T TOO FOND OF:

- Construction Corruption: Towards the end of the story we are introduced to some underhand dealings with property owners and inspectors. This was an interesting and new development to the story and I enjoyed it a lot, but I’m afraid, at times, I found it hard to follow. I also kind of felt the situation was resolved rather quickly and was hoping for more to be said about corruption scheme and villains at the end.

CONCLUSION:

A thrilling and enchanting romance, filled with action, gypsy magic, tests of strength, and a lot of opposition! Foundation of Love is my first story by Wendi Sotis, and most definitely won’t be my last! I highly recommend this tale to fans who love magical stories and modern-day retellings!

Austenesque Reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation of Love.

January 5, 2015 – Shelved
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 14, 2015 – Started Reading
January 14, 2015 –
page 43
January 14, 2015 –
page 43
"Such an interesting premise, has me hooked!"
January 15, 2015 –
page 267
"Don't want to stop! But I'm making myself!"
January 19, 2015 – Finished Reading