Kate's Reviews > The Sapphire Talisman

The Sapphire Talisman by Brenda Pandos

Aug 07, 2010

bookshelves: 2011
Recommended to Kate by: Brenda Pandos
Recommended for: Everyone who loves YA, Vampires, and Paranormal stuffs!
Read from April 13 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Reader beware, this may have a "spoilery" hint or two!

When delving into the works of a “New To Me” author and series, I try to avoid any spoilery reviews or excerpts that may share too much information about what is to come. It’s this habit that helps to keep me intrigued and eager to find out what happens next! Needless to say, I was in for a few surprises with The Sapphire Talisman by Brenda Pandos!

One such surprise occurred when it was finally revealed to me why there are “Team Phil” badges floating around the web! Before jumping in to The Sapphire Talisman, I had thought that Phil was just a fleeting character in book one; created only to be an obstacle in the budding relationship between Julia and Nicholas. I truly never imagined there was more to come for him! (Lol, sometimes I avoid posts so successfully that I end up feeling like a dweeb for missing really important pieces of information!)

Pandos’ writing style and abilities have evolved to such a degree that I found my self wondering where it came from. Don’t get me wrong, Brenda’s debut was well written for certain, but as with many a debut author, her expertise still had some room for improvement. I found this next installment to flow much better, character development was smoother, and narrative descriptions were so extremely well written that with very little effort, the words “popped” into my head like a film strip, as I read along.

The relationship between Julia and Nicholas becomes much more realistic in book two. As mentioned in my review of The Emerald Talisman (found here), I initially had a hard time with how quickly they came together. As we all know, teenagers' feelings are fleeting and they rarely think in terms of the “not so distant” future, let alone anything about “Happy Ever After”. Julia and Nicholas' relationship progresses into a much more mature and level headed state in The Sapphire Talisman. Julia seems less the gushing, immature teen infatuated with a hot boy and more the responsible young lady truly in love with her beau. Additionally, Julia’s angst over separation(s) from Nicholas seem much more rational, adding to the overall believability of the relationship.

With plenty of relationship road blocks, fabulously frightening foes, and intriguing new characters and friendships, Pandos has created another wonderful tale about a girl and her knight in shinning armor! So what if he’s a vampire, she’s an empath and they are fighting to save the world! It’s all in a days work…right?

My only regret, (not that I am even entitled to one) is that the Nicholas we knew and loved from The Emerald Talisman goes through a bit of a “change” that I had hoped would never happen. He was extremely unique and while we still have more of the adventure to come in The Onyx Talisman, I can’t help but feel the loss of the character we were originally introduced to.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sapphire Talisman.

04/13/2011 page 56