Novia's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

Aug 07, 2010

A look into the future in a bizarre way

I have heard a lot about 1984. Some said it was an amazing book while other said that the book was terrible and boring. 1984 gave 2 sides of opinion. Where did I stand?

Although I have heard so much about 1984, but what made me decided to read it was simply because Muse (Matt Bellamy to be exact) made their songs based on this book. When I first heard United State of Eurasia, I was curious “What is Eurasia?” Then I found an interview saying that it was highly influenced by 1984. The album, The Resistance, was also influenced by it. What was so special about it?

To summarize the story is a bit difficult. In short, it is about a future where dictatorship turned to worst case scenario. But saying something like that will not do any justice for the book.

The book was written in 1949, and George Orwell created a future that took place in 1984. At that time, there were 3 Superstates; Oceania (America, the Atlantic Islands, British Isles, Australasia, southern portion of Africa), Eurasia (northern part of Europe, Asiatic land-mass, from Portugal to the Bering Strait) and Eastasia (China Japan, Manchuria, Mongolia and Tibet). The story was centered in Oceania through the life of a man named Winston Smith.

Continue reading >> http://bokunosekai.wordpress.com/2011...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

August 7, 2010 – Shelved
April 24, 2011 –
page 50
April 25, 2011 –
page 81
24.7% "loving it more and more"
April 25, 2011 –