Darlene's Reviews > Five Minutes in Heaven

Five Minutes in Heaven by Lisa Alther

bookshelves: kindle-unlimited, southern, new-york, france, fiction, lgbt, lesbian, literature, romance, womyn, text-to-speech-enabled, death, depression, drama, ghosts
Recommended to Darlene by: One of my book clubs on GoodReads

What a ride! Not exactly rollercoaster, but not merry-go-round either. From the beginning, I like the main character, Jude. She is one who doesn't belong in the world, but finds her way, anyway. She is flawed and confused, with good reasons. I wanted to root for her to win each of her obstacles.

From Tennessee to New York to France and back, Jude struggles with her demons, longing for love to return to her as pure as she put it out. Rarely does it find her. Mostly because of her own insecurities and lack of role-models, love floats out as a fantasy. Never to be achieved.

I picked this version of the book up from Amazon, Kindle Unlimited (which is in fact limited, as you can only have ten 'checked out' at a time). I kind of wished I had the Audible version or the Whispersync to go along, but I managed okay without.

My biggest complaint is the French. Not the people. Just the use of the language with no definitions available to the reader. If you only took Latin, Spanish and German in your language classes, French isn't a language you even have books for. At least that's how it is in my house. So I had to ignore the language and hoped to get the gist. I hate when authors do that to the reader. It stinks of a superiority to the reader. It wasn't necessary. If you are conveying a story to the reader. and most of the book is in English, why not continue in that language in the last third of the book?

And the ending? Wish I had been given a grown up, matured, version of Jude when she comes home at last! The last part ended in the same way, that the other two sections had ended. Wondering what next. Still, it was worth the read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Minutes in Heaven.

January 4, 2015 – Shelved