Nicole M. Hewitt's Reviews > The Library at Mount Char

The Library at Mount Char by Scott  Hawkins

I really struggled with what to rate this book because, for the first half, I just wasn't sure what to think. I really loved certain aspects of the book--especially the mystery of what the heck Carolyn was up to--but it wasn't my typical read, and I found myself struggling through parts of the story. This has lots of pretty horrific violence and also includes rape, so if you're sensitive to those things, be forewarned.

I really started warming up to the book in the second half when Carolyn's plans all start to come together. By that time, I wasn't quite as confused about what was going on, and the action was really picking up.

Then the last quarter of the book happened. And I suddenly realized that Scott Hawkins is a genius and everything I thought I knew had to be thrown out the window and it all came together in amazing ways.

So, yeah, I ended up at four stars (or maybe 3.5?), even though it took me a very long to get there. Because what I will remember about the book is that ending, and that's really how it's meant to be.

The narration was excellent as well, and I'm really glad I listened to it because this is the type of book I'd probably end up skimming in print (I have a much higher tolerance for slower moving or more confusing books via audio). And, like I said, the ending was excellent, so I'm glad I didn't miss those earlier details.

***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review (but then ended up listening to the audiobook from the library). No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Library at Mount Char.

January 4, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read