Margaret's Reviews > Lanie

Lanie by Jane Kurtz

2043205
Aug 06, 2010

About the Book:
Ten-year-old Lanie loves science and nature, but she has a problem: she's an "outside" girl with an "inside" family. She longs get out and go camping, but they all want to stay home. It wouldn't be so bad if her best friend was around, but she's halfway around the world, living out their dream of studying wildlife. Lanie feels she never gets to have any adventures -- anywhere. But when her favorite aunt comes to stay, Lanie discovers that the wonders of nature are everywhere -- even in her own backyard.

My Review:
I read this book because I facilitate my daughter's book club. This was the first book that we read for the club.

You can tell from the start that Lanie is an "outside" person. She love bugs, she loves helping nature, she love being outside. Unfortunately the rest of her family does not feel the same way. Her mom, dad and two sisters are definitely indoor people.

The book takes us on a journey with Lanie, to help her discover the wonders of nature in her own backyard! She is disappointed because it seems her best friend and also her aunt have some exciting tris and she's stuck at home. After a visit from her aunt, Lanie realizes that there is so much to see right where she is! Lanie goes on adventures and some exciting things happen within her family and around the neighborhood.

As I said, I read this with my 9 year old daughter, she LOVED the book. I have to say I enjoyed it as well!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lanie.