Akanksha Singh's Reviews > Lemon Girl

Lemon Girl by Jyoti Arora

bookshelves: meraki, new-books, india-challenge-2015, indian, loved-it, romantic

Lemon Girl – A Journey of self discovery
Arsh’s story begins with “Watch out, Lemon Girl” and ends with “Watch out, Nirvi” and between these two statements Jyoti Arora has managed to fit a lifetime of emotions – love, hope, despair, hate – a complete circle.
I did not just love the story – that is such a simple way of putting it. I was so immersed in it that I could feel the emotions of Nirvi and Arsh at each point. Narrating the story through both Arsh’s as well as Nirvi’s point of view was a stroke of genius. Maybe that is what being God would be like – being able to feel two conflicting emotions simultaneously – knowing both sides of the story and still not being able to take a stand. Jyoti is an excellent story teller and she has spun a beautiful tale of people who could be any one of us.
But who says only the story, words and flow make up a book? There should be something more, that little something that makes a book stand out from the dozens of contemporaries and “Lemon Girl” has this little something aplenty.
The theme of the book is one that has been a huge social menace since the beginning of time – the disrespect for women. We condition our children in such a way that they do not find anything wrong with blaming a girl for whatever untoward accident happens with her. Girls are asked to wear proper clothes as if it is their fault the guys have lose morals. Every time we restrict the girl, telling her it is her fault and that she needs to be more careful. We do not stop to think how faulty our logic is – we just take the easy and convenient way out and lay all the blame on the girl who is supposed to be more tractable, more obedient. And girls are forced to believe these lies – they too start believing slowly that it is indeed their fault.
Lemon Girl tries to give back their dignity and freedom to the girls. Lemon girl is the story of a boisterous and free thinking girl who is forced into submission by society and who again rediscovers her wings without any help. Lemon Girl is the story of every girl in India who dreams of flying and whose wings are mercilessly chopped away every time they dare to grow. It tells us that, “It is NOT our fault.” We too are human beings, we have a right to live. We will not fit ourselves in the corners – the spaces left by you. We will define ourselves, we will find our own place.
Kudos to Jyoti for having written such a beautiful story with a message that will reach the masses. Nirvi’s journey of self-discovery and empowerment will definitely force you to think and reassess your misconceptions.
That being said, the fast paced story and the simple style in which it is written along with the beautiful and scenic descriptions of places make this book a gem. This book should be turned into a movie. Are you listening, Karan Johar?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lemon Girl.

January 4, 2015 – Started Reading